SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it goes, 2 weeks ago the 'power system service urgent' light came on, I replaced the batttery 2 months ago but took it out and had it checked and came back fine, then had alternator checked and also fine, then yesterday took it to autozzone which his reader said sterter system failed, so before anything else I took out starter and had it checked and it was fine, so now what are my options? there are no codes on file to check on the 'power system service urgent' light is on, any suggestions??????

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How does the car drive? Any issue with lights, fuses, etc...?
It could be some corroded cable/connectors

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i would have thought new battery would have solved that. may have to bite the bullet and have your local dealer plug her in.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have loosened and retightened all cables to alternator, starter, battery, all grounds to motor and body, tested resistance with ohm meter on cable from battery to starter and then the cable from starter to alternator, and ground cable from battery to bady and all tested .000 so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Does the car starts and run just fine? any physical signs the message is real/current?
It would be good to now if it is a permanent fault or intermittent...

BTW did you try to reset CEL codes? that would remove the message. You can then see if it comes back.
Do you have a OBD II reader? are there any other codes that popped up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
car seems to start fine, sometimes every once and awhile when you go to start it and turn the key maybe just a small amount of hesitation before it goes to crank motor, and it seems to run fine, when I hook up a orbII reader it shows no codes in history, i unhooked the battery for about 2 hours did that reset the cel codes? other than that everything seems fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm fighting the same thing...

BUT, for me the engine and ambient temperatures have to be high, doesn't happen after starting or when it colder that 60's...

Attempt #1 - I pulled the alternator and had it checked at a reputable electronics shop (NOT an auto parts store) and it tested fine, they cleaned all internal contacts just in case, put it back in and same issue...

Attempt #2 - Replaced the alternator pulley (it's a one way clutch) no change, same issue...

So I've made a cable and I'm driving with a multi-meter in my AUX plug and watching the voltage... VERY consistent... 13.9VDC when there's no warning light, 13.6VDC when the warning light is on... More to come...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok tested volts today, while car is turned off battery reads 12.84v, while car is running under full load with ac running and service light off I read 13.82v- 13.89v, when service light comes on then I read 13.61v-13.67v. at battery.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
That warning light is usually very reliable. I suspect you have an intermittent alternator problem. Your voltage readings would seem to confirm that. Perhaps just a single bad diode when it gets hot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heck the problem is I bought a new one last week and installed it and the message then stayed on full time, I then took it down to autzone where they hooked it up and the batrery read fine but then said starter system failed the test and it was my starter, I tookm iit off and had it tested and it tested fine on the bench????

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 'Alternator Guy' said that he doesn't worry about anything below 13.2 volts so I should be OK... Doesn't mean that I like the fact that the light is on...

And the worst part about it is that the alternator i have is a NipponDenzo and the voltage regulator is NOT available from ANYONE...

There has to be a load or drain somewhere that switches on and off causing this issue...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts