SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a proud S40 owner living in the heart of Illinois, and with winter coming up, I'd love to know if there's any secret winter preparation tips besides snow tires and regular maintenance. I'm especially concerned about salt rot, as I've lived in CA previously and don't have much experience dealing with winter wear and tear.

Car has 141,000 ish miles (made it across the country over the summer :) )

I'm excited to try out this thing in its natural habitat, and any tips are much appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I go through my emergency stuff before winter just to make sure nothing is missing. In case the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and need to wait for a tow. I have a blanket, extra gloves, flashlight, snacks, water, a small can of gasoline, battery pack, first aid etc...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I go through my emergency stuff before winter just to make sure nothing is missing. In case the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and need to wait for a tow. I have a blanket, extra gloves, flashlight, snacks, water, a small can of gasoline, battery pack, first aid etc...
I always have to make sure I didn't eat the beef jerky from my kit

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm in St. Louis... maybe "heart of IL" is the same latitude. People here don't really Fluid Film their cars. Just take it to the car wash a few times over the winter. It's not like the real "rust belt" states, from what I can see.

S40's don't (IMO) tend to have a lot of rust issues....

If you are like St. Louis, you will typically get one big close-the-schools snow in a year. Some years, a few snows, and some years none. Snow isn't really a big deal here.

·
Registered
953 Posts
S40's don't (IMO) tend to have a lot of rust issues....
I think rust on the front fenders right at top of the wheel well is showing up now that these cars are aging. It's happening to both sides on my 06 S40, and I see it a lot when trying to find replacements on car-part.com. I think if you clear out the grime that accumulates there yearly that could eliminate the risk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm quite paranoid, and always keep a sleeping bag, tools, fluids, and an emergency kit with me. It's already been useful once if you look back at a previous post :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think rust on the front fenders right at top of the wheel well is showing up now that these cars are aging. It's happening to both sides on my 06 S40, and I see it a lot when trying to find replacements on car-part.com. I think if you clear out the grime that accumulates there yearly that could eliminate the risk.
Are you talking about the bit you have to remove the wheel well plastic cover to get to

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I did see one V50 that had lots of rust in the engine compartment, suspension, seat rails, steering shaft; yes interior. It also had lots of mold under the rear seat.... Flood car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
as a lifetime holder of a Wisconsin driver's license, the quest to stop the evil beast that is rust is generally a losing cause. But, cars have gotten better, and washing the car (when its warm enough) definitely helps. Beware of washing the car in freezing temps! You can end up with frozen locks. And be careful with opening windows if the car has been wet then freezes! I have broken several window regulators and/or torn the windows of the tracks in my life.

Other advice if your a complete winter noob:

1.Make sure any drains your car has are clear and free of debris. If they are plugged, water and salt will get trapped an accelerate rust. I'm not familiar with v50s, but the the general idea applies to every car. Sunroof drains, front cowl drains, door drains, etc. test them out with water in the fall. You can find DIYs online.

2. I second the emergency items list that speedydan mentioned and would also add you should have a shovel in your truck to free your car form a snow drift, or for earning your boy scout pin for helping a little old lady get unstuck. And if you keep drinking water in your trunk, make sure its in a study bottle and only 3/4 full. It'll freeze at some point and you don't want a mess when it unfreezes.

3. If it seems like to much snow to drive safely, consider if you really NEED to go anywhere. Life can wait sometimes, lots of accidents happen in the snow around here.

4. Lift your windshield wipers up when you know snow/ice storms are coming. Its way easier and your are less likely to damage them versus trying to unstick them from your frozen windshield.

5. No amount of scraping with your ice scraper will damage the windows, so give er hell. When it seems like the flat blade side of your scraper isn't getting the ice off the windows, flip it to the other side with the teeth. They are for the stubborn ice.

6. Lastly:

·
Registered
437 Posts
lol. Why do they even make those stupid ones? So stupid!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts