SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
The fact that the only tranny available on the Legacy GT is a slushbox means that it's a worthless car to me.

The "sport" automatic on it is a complete POS. It literally takes 2 seconds to upshift.

If you want a more engaging driving experience with a decent motor get the Volvo.

That's what I did at least. YMMV.

· Registered
365 Posts
Re: (Crashy)

Quote, originally posted by Crashy »
The LGT comes with a 5-speed manual.

Not if you're looking at wagons. AMHIK.

If you're looking at sedans then just get the STi.

· Registered
365 Posts
Re: (Oldman)

Quote, originally posted by Oldman »
The new Mazda 3 turbo will be Ford's pocket rocket with 6 speed LSD, 250 HP and 400+ pounds lighter then the S40...

But will it be front-wheel drive?

I don't understand why you'd choose anything other than the superior car performance-wise if you're looking at sedans.

I bought the V50 because it's a wagon... I guess I don't get the attraction otherwise.

So anyway -- back on-topic: Does anyone know why they discontinued the Legacy GT Wagon with the manual tranny?
-Chris

· Registered
365 Posts

And for the person that says "just go with an STI over an LGT", they are really not comparible. Very different purposes, different cars.

If you strictly consider form, then I don't see your point -- they're both sedans, right?
-Chris

· Registered
365 Posts

True, they're both sedans, but a Chevy Cobalt and a Porsche 911 are both coupes.

Yes -- And if you consider the form of them both the Cobalt has more utility and the Porsche more performance.

If you consider the Legacy GT vs the STi strictly on utility of the form of the vehicle they are equal.

I can certainly see other reasons why you'd want the Legacy GT (subjective criteria such as external appearance and availability of leather) -- I hope that you can see my point.

Cheers.
-Chris

· Registered
365 Posts
Re: (warmonger)

Quote, originally posted by warmonger »
That is not exactly true. In fact, may higher boost turbos can make as much boost at lower rpm as the low boost turbo, but they don't Stop making boost as the rpm goes up whereas the volvo s40 turbo is maintained around 10psi.

You can make more boost regardless of the turbo -- it'll just be way out of the efficiency range of the turbo, causing potential detonation and decreasing returns dramatically depending on the compressor map.

It's not just about how much boost you make -- it's about how you make it.

· Registered
365 Posts
Re: (warmonger)

Quote, originally posted by warmonger »
It was intended to point out that there are Turbos available that can spool quicker at lower rpm and still be efficient enough to provide more airflow at higher rpms.

No. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If it spools fast enough to provide near instant torque it will die on the top end.

(Unless it's VATN or something)

· Registered
365 Posts

Agreed, but there are things you can do to help yourself out. Like using turbos with a ball bearing cartridge (OEMs like sleeve bearings because they're cheap) and port-matching and polishing and clipping the turbo.

Yes -- but those type of mods only increase spool by ~200rpms based on what I've seen from folks on the dyno. That's not going to provide the free lunch.

Here are some good comparisons of different turbos on a 3.0L inline 6: http://www.moreboost.org/turbos.htm

That should help to demonstrate some of the tradeoffs and see that you can't have it all, regardless of tricks.

· Registered
365 Posts
*very* good points, oldman.

Part-throttle response and lag characteristics are just as important if not more important than WOT spool.
-Chris

· Registered
365 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
The S40's T5 does have CVVT, which is capable of Miller-style timing but it mostly manages valve overlap and the like, not a true Miller cycle.

Are you saying that the V50's T5 doesn't have this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.