SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound comes from under the hood, like a bad belt or maybe a pulley or alternator bearing but it goes away while accelerating under load, but not much change when just revving the engine.

So I’m poking around under there while the engine is squealing like a pig, and pull out the oil fill cap which is mounted in the valve cover. Like magic the noise disappears. If I put the cap back it returns. If I put my hand over the opening there is a strong vacuum sucking it in.

Is there supposed to be such a strong suction? Could there be a clog in the ventilation system? Even with over 250,000 miles the car runs great other than for a transmission issue that I’ll ask about in another message. Short of driving around without an oil cap, what should I do to fix this?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
its actually a recall from volvo. dont drive too long as it cam seals, and do other damage. there should also be a strong suction from dip stick/oil filler

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a mileage limit on the recall? I'll have to read up on this as probably I'll have to end up doing it myself.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've got over twice those miles. Think they'll do it for half the price? Or sell me the parts for half off?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, I've got over twice those miles. Think they'll do it for half the price? Or sell me the parts for half off?
You have over 240,000 miles on your S-40? Or KM's?

My PCV went at around 90,000 miles, I wasn't sure if it was ever going to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Replace PCV Valve, amount of vacuum should not be that high. Check your lines that run to you intake tube located near the battery.
Let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Part is gonna cost you about $110 at the dealer without any discounts. There is few threads about how to replace this. If you are cmfortable you might do it yourself. The hardest part in doing this is to remove your airbox. Once airbox is out there is few bolts and hoses and you are all set.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Is this job done all from above or should I drive the car up on ramps before starting?
If I remember right, its mostly done from the top, but more space to work, more better though. I would ramp it.

Replace PCV Valve, amount of vacuum should not be that high.

·
Registered
658 Posts
250K miles? WOW!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts