SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible and/or reasonable to swap a manual 6 speed into a 2005 s40 t5 awd? i found a wrecked one with 38k on it for $6800 and it looks like it just needs a couple thousand put into the front end. no air bags went off. the only thing holding me back is that it is auto and i plan on modding it to about 250-300 awhp. i understand that the auto should hold this power with ease but i enjoy driving stick too much, especially with that kind of power. What would i be looking at doing and price also? Where is a good place to find replacement parts? ill definetly need front bumper, hood, fenders, radiator and support. is there problems that i should look for with the front end damage?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Front end? Def frame damage

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Super Moderator
15,321 Posts
It'll cost about $2500 in parts and labor, maybe more.

I'm sort of in the parts collection precess myself.

My advice would be to forget the car you're looking at. Keep searching for a true M66 (6 speed) that hasn't been in a wreck. Some of these cars are selling for as little as $6k now. So if you're willing to buy a $7k car and pay for repairs and transmission swap, keep looking. :)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It'll cost about $2500 in parts and labor, maybe more.

I'm sort of in the parts collection precess myself.

My advice would be to forget the car you're looking at. Keep searching for a true M66 (6 speed) that hasn't been in a wreck. Some of these cars are selling for as little as $6k now. So if you're willing to buy a $7k car and pay for repairs and transmission swap, keep looking. :)
You have any good links to a how to/parts list? I remember reading something about a few electronic items..

·
Super Moderator
15,321 Posts
You have any good links to a how to/parts list? I remember reading something about a few electronic items..
I did, but ended up deleting all those bookmarks...

Aside from the transmission components, shift boot / knob, linkages, clutch, new brake pedal, etc. You also need to re-wire things for the reverse lights to work. The ECU will not recognize the transmission and will either need to be replaced or reflashed to recognize your VIN but with a new transmission. The display on the radio gauges will change, the car itself needs to understand 6 gears and not just 5.
It's just way too involved... Honestly, the easiest thing to do, if you were completely set on keeping your "car," is to buy a working manual and replace everything. Take the body / interior off your car and put it on the M66.

That's why I'm keeping my S40 as an auto commuter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.