SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I upgrade my single CD/radio to a 6 CD changer/radio?
My car has the basic sound system (Performance I think it's called), not high performance or premium.
I think (but I could be wrong), that what I need is pn: 36050349 plus a software app.
These are OEM Volvo parts.
Has anyone done this?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was told that it cannot. The Performance sound system is very 'basic'. It cannot add CD changer or subwoofer. But there are people out there who could make anything possible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks, that seems to be the situation. Pity, I was hoping to do a simple upgrade to CD changer.
But as you say there are ways and means...

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are three levels of sound systems: Performance, High Performance, and Premium. From model years 2004.5 to 2007, the base sound system for the 2.4i cars is the Performance. From 2008+, the Performance system is dropped and replaced by High Performance.

To make things more complicated, all sound systems from models 2004.5 to 2005 has a separate amp mounted in the trunk. Later ones all come integrated into the dash unit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are three levels of sound systems: Performance, High Performance, and Premium. From model years 2004.5 to 2007, the base sound system for the 2.4i cars is the Performance. From 2008+, the Performance system is dropped and replaced by High Performance.

To make things more complicated, all sound systems from models 2004.5 to 2005 has a separate amp mounted in the trunk. Later ones all come integrated into the dash unit.
Ok thanks for the info. I see you mention 2.4i cars. Mine is a 2005 T5, do you know what it came with? I can check tomorrow but just thought I'd ask you in the meantime.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When you turn on your car, the screen on the center dash will display the type of sound system that you have. T5 cars should come with High Performance as standard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When you turn on your car, the screen on the center dash will display the type of sound system that you have. T5 cars should come with High Performance as standard.
I'm 90% sure it's High Performance. Will check in the morning... If it indeed is High Performance, can I make the upgrade to the newer system that supports mp3's?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
navolvo,

Is it not the other way round? I could be wrong but I have the feeling that my 2005 with performance sound, has an IAM (Integrated Audio Module with single CD player) in the dash, and no separate amp in the trunk (called boot in my part of the world). To tell the truth I have not hunted for an amp in the trunk, nor have I looked in the dash for the part no on my player unit. With a pn. I could easily verify what it is. I understand there is an FM antenna amp in the trunk though.

Hope I'm not just confusing things.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To my understanding, early production 2005 models have a separate amp in the trunk/boot, whereas mid-cycle 2005 models changed to IAM. I just didn't mention it because it was already confusing enough.

I don't know everything that's going on at Volvo, but this is to my best knowledge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
navolvo,

Just for further info...

Pics of my single CD player. It's definitely an Integrated Audio Module (IAM), no separate amp.

I could go for the GROM-MST3 as a cheaper option than the OEM 6CD changer.

Dmitry at GROM tells me that the GROM-MST3 is compatible with my 2005 S40 performance single CD system.

Cheers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey dlk1, it seems we have the same sound system (performance with single CD player), which would be the IAM in dash all in one radio/amp/player.

It seems you have the GROM-MST3.

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion of the GROM-MST3, if that's what you have.

Is it reliable, glitch free, works as expected, radio functions OK, USB, MP3 OK, etc?

I understand you have to give up the single CD player functionality? (far outweighed by benefit of USB/MP3)?

I'd appreciate your opinion...

What specifically was your speaker upgrade?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey dlk1, it seems we have the same sound system (performance with single CD player), which would be the IAM in dash all in one radio/amp/player.

It seems you have the GROM-MST3.

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion of the GROM-MST3, if that's what you have.

Is it reliable, glitch free, works as expected, radio functions OK, USB, MP3 OK, etc?

I understand you have to give up the single CD player functionality? (far outweighed by benefit of USB/MP3)?

I'd appreciate your opinion...

What specifically was your speaker upgrade?

Here is the full Grom thread. t was very hit/miss in the beginning but works very well (almost perfectly) now.
Did a speaker upgrade with Polks.... also there is a thread about that somewhere here....

The Grom IMO far outweighs losing the CD player.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...OST-quot-AUX-USB-Bluetooth-Ipod-MP3-etc.-unit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks dlk.
I have been through that thread, so much info there it was easier to ask you directly.
I will be ordering the GROM shortly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts