SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 90% finished with this swap. I seem to have everything but spark.

Prologue

I purchased a 2001 Volvo XC70 with a faulty transmission. I knew it was the infamous solenoid valve body failure when I purchased the vehicle. I negotiated a decent price as the rest of the vehicle was in nice condition. I was able to drive the vehicle home and limp it to work. I occasionally drove it on the Freeway from the Columbia Rive Gorge to Portland. The engine consumed oil either by leaking it onto the drive shaft on the passenger side and flinging it all over the place and leaving an embarrassing oil spot wherever i parked. I even drove the car over the mountain passes to Yakima. One day i discovered that I could shut the car off while driving at speed, reset the computers, and get the car to shift into overdrive.

The transmission made it 25 miles from home in overdrive. The transmission failed going up Marryhill grade. The engine rpm and speed became increasingly disproportionate. I looked for a place to ditch the car and call a tow truck.

I was originally going to attempt to fix the transmission with a solenoid valve repair kit. I read about how it could be done on a Saturday. I attempted, but got frustrated and concerned that fixing the transmission does not fix the oil leak.
I weighed my options and settled on buying a donor car that had been in a wreck. The car was a 2005 volvo XC70 with a 2.5L engine and the AW55-51. I pulled the 2.4L/AW55-50 from my car and the donor car. I went through everything to make sure I had the write connectors with the correct body/wiring harness. I was hoping to be able to swap out wiring harness up to the module under the dash.

In the swap, here are the things that are different.
  • Transmission Connections
  • wiring harness conecction to under the dash
  • rear driveline connection needs swapped
  • ABS system is different

As an engineer by trade, I really appreciate the standardization that Volvo has developed. The little things that are different are what I cuss. It makes me laugh about the younger me and imagine a new engineer wanting to change a minute detail, just to have made a contribution.

The mechanical phase of the project is complete, now I am on to the electrical/control system phase of the project.

I created a custom wiring harness to connect the Transmission to the TCM through the existing wiring harness. I was able to take parts from the donor car's wiring harness and deutsch connectors to create the custom wiring harness. I used a 8x connector for the position switch and a 12x connector for the rest of the connections. The speed sensor connectors for the transmissions were the same.

I currently have the 2.5L ECM installed with the AW55-51 TCM.

Current state

The engine turns over, I can see voltage changing at the fuel injectors. The fuel is under pressure.

I have access to 3 OBDII code readers. All three have issues with connecting to the computer.

I had a key cut, and pulled the RF capsule from the donor car to ensure this was not a problem. This was a waste of time and money.

My next guess is there is a pin-out difference between the two computers. I am going to test this by installing the original computers.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I am 95% there and can't wait to drive it out of the shop.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
99 Posts
need some info.
which ecu/engine computer are you using ?? donor car one or original?

the immobilizer system has the key rolling code memory in the cem as well as the ecm. the cem and ecm must agree that it is the proper key for vehicle start.

do u have any messages on dim/cluster like "immobilizer"?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
CAN is totally different. 05 is 2x as fast. Also the 05 ECM is expecting a lot more modules because of haldex. It's also not expecting an ETM. 05 doesn't have one. It's an ETA. It's also election dual CVVT.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
CAN is totally different. 05 is 2x as fast. Also the 05 ECM is expecting a lot more modules because of haldex. It's also not expecting an ETM. 05 doesn't have one. It's an ETA. It's also election dual CVVT.
Even if the engine does start the transmission won't function properly, or at all, one major difference between those years is the valve body. The TCM on the 01 is specifically programmed to control the valvebody of an 01 (and maby 02, but I'm unsure) transmission.

Would have made more sense and have been easier to convert it to manual.

Also, you won't get far beyond general engine codes with OBDII on this Volvo. Better invest in a VIDA/DiCE.

EDIT: Read through your post again and noticed that you swapped over the TCM as well, but as previously stated CAN on the 05 is different from the 01. You can swap 05 engine into the 01 successfully by swapping over all the electronics from the 01 engine (including the ETM) onto the 05 and blocking off the CVVT. The 05 TCM will not work on the 01 CAN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with IPD and I found out about the communication speed thing. I put the original ECM and TCM in the car. I was able to get the car to start but not idle. I found out that i had two connectors that were disconnected. One next to the inlet of the compressor wheel and one on the tube connecting the inter-cooler to the intake manifold. I then tried to start the car and got the old Immobilizer code on the Dash. I do not have any codes from my obdII reader.

A manual swap would be nice. I saw where the cables go through the firewall for transmission gear selection What manual transmission is compatible with the transfer case?

There has to be a way to program the data for the 55-51. I was reading last night that the XC90 had the 55-51 in it. If they TCM from the xc90 is the same speed then I should be able to plug and play.

Next baby step is to figure out the imobilizer and get the engine running again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
need some info.
which ecu/engine computer are you using ?? donor car one or original?

the immobilizer system has the key rolling code memory in the cem as well as the ecm. the cem and ecm must agree that it is the proper key for vehicle start.

do u have any messages on dim/cluster like "immobilizer"?
I am using the original key. The dash says "blocking start?" when I try using the new key with the old transponder. With the original ECM installed in the car, my plan is to update the software through IPD in-order to incorporate the controls for the intake VVT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if the engine does start the transmission won't function properly, or at all, one major difference between those years is the valve body. The TCM on the 01 is specifically programmed to control the valvebody of an 01 (and maby 02, but I'm unsure) transmission.

Would have made more sense and have been easier to convert it to manual.

Also, you won't get far beyond general engine codes with OBDII on this Volvo. Better invest in a VIDA/DiCE.

EDIT: Read through your post again and noticed that you swapped over the TCM as well, but as previously stated CAN on the 05 is different from the 01. You can swap 05 engine into the 01 successfully by swapping over all the electronics from the 01 engine (including the ETM) onto the 05 and blocking off the CVVT. The 05 TCM will not work on the 01 CAN.
I see your ETM info. What is different between the two? is it the communication speed?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
The 99-02 ETM was on the CAN as a module... (still just a potentimeter and a motor...) The 03+ ETA (electronic throttle actuator) is treated like a MAF or coil pack--as a sensor. No need to mate it if it's brand new.

The bigger issue is the difference in sensors/everything.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Hmm.... My friend, you have taken on a lot of work here. If you have the donor car, I would think the easiest way to make it all work is to swap over all the electronics from the donor car. I do mean everything. The updated CAN BUS is going to give you trouble in so many ways, lighting, alarms, bulb failures, AWD issues, etc.

I don't have the skinny on all the technical details, but this one may be a complete mess.

The first thought is wondering how you got the car to start at all. The key/immobilizer info is stored in the CEM, right? If the CEM wasn't swapped, how did the ECM communicate?

I echo what everyone else has said about needing a heavier duty scanner to see what modules are communicating and which are not. If you swap the CEM, it may or may not communicate with the doors, seats, climate control, radio, upper electronic module, or rear electronic module, body control module, fuel pump controller, or anything else.

Getting the car running is probably only 40% of your battle of making this car road worthy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but different years had different immobilizer responses depending if they had Denso or Bosch computers. I was thinking Denso will let the engine turn over and sometimes even briefly engage the fuel pump, but then cut's power to the pump. The Bosch system just gives the start prohibited messages?

Anyways, I can't think of any way this is actually going to work with MAJOR updates. I know some modules can be swapped without causing communication issues or having to be reprogrammed, but I wouldn't think the TCM or ECM fall into that category...

I can't help but ask why the O.P. didn't just replace the timing and cam seals and have the original transmission rebuilt... It would have been infinitely easier. CAN BUS and Immobilizer faults are going to make this a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This is insane. Admirably so of course!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
No offense intended, and I'm trying to say this as kindly as the internet allows, but I would seriously recommend stepping back and examining how much you want to invest in this project.

What you are trying to do, can be done, but it's not easy, and there are far better ways to go about achieving your goals. Metaphorically, this is like removing a an entire door and door frame to fix a stuck dead lock. The easy thing would be to remove the lock, rather than the door and the surrounding trim the dead bolt was stuck into.

It may be time to fall back and punt, take your losses, and walk away. I can't imagine any 2001 XC70 special enough to make it worth this kind of effort.

If you proceed, we'll try to help, but even if it runs, I would highly doubt the alternator will charge, the a/c will work, it will probably be a front wheel drive only, and you will be plagued by anomalies that will take a highly skilled mechanic with 10+ years of dedicated Volvo experience to sort out. I have a shop full of such mechanics, and I wouldn't touch it.

Haha, but I'm obviously on the doom and gloom side of the equation. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have both of the Throttle bodies out of the car. My original plan of installing the 2005 computers back fired slightly... It means that I have the 2005 wiring harness in. I did some comparing and determined that they aren't too different in wiring. They are both 6 wire connections. They terminate in different location on the two machines.

I was able to locate the termination of all the wires on the 2005 except the #4 solid green wire. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram yet. I am guessing it is ground, however, I cannot get the volt meter to chirp when i touch ground.

If I can find the termination of the #4 wire, Then I can use these wires to plug into the appropriate pins.

Otherwise, I will just plug in the connector to the 2001 throttle body, and terminate the wires at the appropriate ECU pins.

It boggles my mind that someone would add the complexity of requiring VIN numbers for the device to work. It should be a Servo with a position encoder.

I will likely be using the 2001 throttle body. I will make that determination after a phone call tomorrow.

The following image shows the pin connectors for the 2001 throttle body:

The following image shows the wires are missing in the 2005 wiring harness. The wires for the transmission terminate in a different location and are not used by the 2001 computer. In fact, it is the group of various green wires on the 2005/black connector opposite of the 2001 throttle wire terminals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This image shows the wire, where I cannot determine where it terminates. The wire in question is in the lower left hand corner or position #4 as indicated on the connector.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
At this point you're better off gutting the 01 and swapping everything (including the haldex dear diff) from the 05... I'm not even kidding.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Do you have an explanation?
Every module on this vehicle is VIN coded, any module that is installed in the vehicle needs to be coded to match the VIN in the CEM or else it won't work. Just from the top of my head, to get the engine working you'd need the CEM, ECM, and PEM (fuel pump module, possibly w/fuel pump) from the 05. Transmission requires the TCM, instrument cluster requires the DIM, braking system requires the BCM. Few other systems are air bags SRS, DDM, PDM, UEM, REM, CCM, and all the associated wiring to get the lights, lock, and windows and air to work. DEM is the AWD unit on 03+. I may have missed a few, and depending on what options your vehicle has there maybe more modules.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts