SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been a long time Volvo owner through the years. I saw a XC90 and feel in love with the SUV. Found a deal on C-List for a 2004 XC90 2.5 with 173K for $2500 the previous original owner was prior military as I. We communicated for a couple of week to confirm a meet time. I was told that it was driven by his daughter for a couple of years therefore I figured that it would be a safe investment for my 2 mature kids 21 and 18. Well now the down low on what I have found the XC need. (4) rotor and brake pads, lower motor mounts, rear wheel bearings, strut mounts , AC compressor clutch replacement. I feel all was not disclosed prior to purchase but that is ok. Well after a week of driving awaiting for parts arrival the XC 's instrument cluster went dark cutting on and off then the car went into limp mode . I made it home safe but feel tis is a sign of the CEM module going bad. I have a 2002 XC70 sitting with a bad title. Are the CEMs units interchangeable and will I have to have it reprogramed ? What other parts can I use from the XC70. Sorry for the rant this is my first post here. I am not blaming the seller, I should have used the preinspection list.

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have a 2004 XC70 that exhibited "brake failure, stop", flashing warnings and limp mode transmission hard shifts. Sent the CEM to XeMODeX and all cured. About $600. Quick turn around. I think the CEM's are programmed to the individual vehicle. Don't know if a 2002 CEM can be reprogrammed. Perhaps ask XeMODeX. The 2004 and earlier CEM's are reported to overheat causing random failures. My son uses the 2004 XC70 at school, 250 miles away. I have tried to assure the car is as reliable as possible. Check the parking brake shoes for delamination, PVC system is not clogged, transmission fluid is fresh and clean. Let us know how it goes. Lots of knowledgeable help here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a 2004 XC70 that exhibited "brake failure, stop", flashing warnings and limp mode transmission hard shifts. Sent the CEM to XeMODeX and all cured. About $600. Quick turn around. I think the CEM's are programmed to the individual vehicle. Don't know if a 2002 CEM can be reprogrammed. Perhaps ask XeMODeX. The 2004 and earlier CEM's are reported to overheat causing random failures. My son uses the 2004 XC70 at school, 250 miles away. I have tried to assure the car is as reliable as possible. Check the parking brake shoes for delamination, PVC system is not clogged, transmission fluid is fresh and clean. Let us know how it goes. Lots of knowledgeable help here.
Thanks!!! I will hit XeMODex website. I think I will have to get a used CEM to send in with the old one correct ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did not provide XeMODeX a spare CEM. I removed my questionable CEM, packaged and sent to XeMODeX. They downloaded my cars data to a refurbished CEM and sent to me for installation. Easy plug and play. I suspect my old CEM was rebuilt, tested and purged of any vehicle specific data then used for another customer. The rebuilt CEM has a lifetime warranty as long as we own the car. No issues after 1.5 years and 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dmv,
I have a 2004 xc70 without any cem issues. I attached stick on heat sinks to try to avoid this problem, and so far it is working. The removal instructions for the cem is on the Xemodex site. Once you get take the cem out, the metal shield over the cup should be removed. You can also add a 12 v doc fan over the cem module to increase the air flow. This fix might work if your cem problems are intermittent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thamks

Dmv,
I have a 2004 xc70 without any cem issues. I attached stick on heat sinks to try to avoid this problem, and so far it is working. The removal instructions for the cem is on the Xemodex site. Once you get take the cem out, the metal shield over the cup should be removed. You can also add a 12 v doc fan over the cem module to increase the air flow. This fix might work if your cem problems are intermittent.
Thanks I thought of a solution like that being an IT and experiencing issue like this on servers, but I am going to send it to XeMODeX $549 US. I would assume the circuit board has hot spots on it now so a rebuilt unit would be my best shot. This morning the Cluster gauges came on for a second and went off line. The car goes straight to limp mode at start up now :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.