SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are researching our XC90 and hoping it doesnt have the GM transmission in it, according to the VIN it has the " 7 = AW50AWD automatic gearbox ".

Reading this forum and other forums people are adamant that a 2004 xc90 can only have the GM problematic tranny in it, but it appears ours has the good AW50 transmission .

Did they really put this transmission in the T6 XC90 ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
You should be able to look at the name plate on the transmission and tell.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't believe that it is possible (at least not as a factory installed transmission). Due to the size (length) of the engine they could not fit the preferred AW 5 speed transmission in the engine bay so they used the more compact GM 4 speed transmission instead. Probably just an error in the VIN number or transcription of it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't believe that it is possible (at least not as a factory installed transmission). Due to the size (length) of the engine they could not fit the preferred AW 5 speed transmission in the engine bay so they used the more compact GM 4 speed transmission instead. Probably just an error in the VIN number or transcription of it.
No expert on this but I bought a new 2004 2.5 AWD and at the time I was under the impression that the 4-speed only came with the T6 and it was a GM unit. I don't recall ever hearing the T6 got anything but a 4-speed GM unit in the XC90.

P

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
We are researching our XC90 and hoping it doesnt have the GM transmission in it, according to the VIN it has the " 7 = AW50AWD automatic gearbox ".

Reading this forum and other forums people are adamant that a 2004 xc90 can only have the GM problematic tranny in it, but it appears ours has the good AW50 transmission .

Did they really put this transmission in the T6 XC90 ?
No, they did not..physical impossibility due to the lack of space (width) under the hood...

Advertisement's mistake...

It is most likely the 2004 2.5T and NOT the T6. 2004 2.5T comes with AWD and 7 seats...I used to have one...and that one had AW50 Aisin 5-sp transmission.

I will trust VIN more than the dealer's or private party' add...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, it turns out its a VIN error on this car we owned ... it had the T6 and GM tranmission, which was still running perfectly at 92000 miles, half of that in the mountains outside Denver, and never had the transmission serviced!

We didnt want to play russian roulette with it , so after 8 years of perfect service she was traded in today.... we will miss the XC90 thats for sure. We both loved it, and if it wasnt for the tranny issue we would have kept it until it died.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the replys, it turns out its a VIN error on this car we owned ... it had the T6 and GM tranmission, which was still running perfectly at 92000 miles, half of that in the mountains outside Denver, and never had the transmission serviced!

We didnt want to play russian roulette with it , so after 8 years of perfect service she was traded in today.... we will miss the XC90 thats for sure. We both loved it, and if it wasnt for the tranny issue we would have kept it until it died.
Sounds like you didn't get another. What's your poison?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Wish it were possible. The T6 is a great engine, and the AW50 is a great transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts