SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just replaced my right & left cv axle assembly and the right engine mount. Everything was perfect smooth sailing
till outside temp went to 10 degrees F. lots of clicking when starting to drive first thing in the morning. then goes away when the car has 4 or so miles then comes back a little when I let off the gas. both sides are replaced with FEQ
brand axles. any ideas or just bad parts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm voting axle ping (aka axle/hub spline play). Did you use new Volvo SEMS screws (bolt/washer) when you replaced the axles? Are the torqued correctly? Could try some Teflon pipe compound between the splines and the hub, see if that makes the sound go away or at least get quieter. But new PN axle bolts torqued to proper values is a must. They "stretch" per design or so I'm led to believe.

Maybe it's not your problem but that's my cursory vote....

Good luck !

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Volvo has a TNN "fix" for this using some version of Locktite adhesive. Not sure if I ever saw anyone figure out a more generic part number or equivalent for this. I had the job done on my '08, never had the issue in my '05, both run their original axles. Did see something about Teflon pipe compound somewhere, would ask if you think that this might be a direction you would want to go, do some poking around and see what others have used don't take my word for it as I've never used that particular material myself.

Couple of examples to start your search:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?40804-Axle-spline-TNN
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?23256-Axle-Spline-Fix-Any-Update-Info

Big (BIG) emphasis on new bolts and proper torque values. That in and of itself might do the trick of at least mitigate h sound to be acceptable. Of interesting note is the evolution of the axle bolts over the years to include a version with a wedge shaped rubber "washer" at one point to help with the noise. Last version is just a galvanized screw with a built in washer (SEMS), at least for the last set I got.

Good luck with your issue and please let us know how this works out!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My 04 had this problem and I bought the bolts with the rubber washer that squishes into the hub and it went away. I don't know if it'll come back but so far so good.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts