SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electric sunroof on my XC90 that is having issues. When I try to open it, it makes the dreaded grinding noise (my '82 240 did the same thing) and when it gets about a quarter of the way, it stops and starts closing. Also, when I try to "tilt" it, it will open up, then close, then attempt to open fully, the close. In order to tilt it, I need to press the button very gently and do the same to close it, looking at the roof to make sure it is closed properly. Any suggestions? :angryfire:

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,364 Posts
You can try this if it is your issue. Not sure if you changed the battery or had to jump start it recently, but if a battery change was not done with the ignition key in the II position, it can cause the UEM/SRM to lose its calibration. This is information from VIDA for calibrating the sunroof. It is for a 2006, but hopefully, it's the same for your 2004.

Calibrating the sun roof module (SRM)

The sun roof must be closed.
Ignition in position I.

Press the sun roof switch so that the sun roof is in the tilt position.
Release the switch.

Press the switch (in the tilt position) again for at least 5 seconds so that the sun roof flickers.
Release the switch.
The calibration is complete.

Note! If the sun roof has not moved to the correct position, carry out calibration again.

Hint:
If the sun roof has still not moved to the correct position:
Press the sun roof switch so that the sun roof moves to the rearmost position (completely open).
Release the switch.
Press the switch (in the completely open position) in again for at least 5 seconds so that the sun roof flickers.
Release the switch.
Close the sun roof and carry out calibration again. See steps 1 and 2 above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that to fix the opening and closing part. What can I do about the grinding and the fact that it only opens halfway. I say something in the owner's manual about the sunroof closing if there is an obstruction. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If it's a mechanical issue, small chance you're going to be able to effectively troubleshoot it over a "literal" back and forth on this forum. Best is to grab a copy of VIDA in the OBD forum and get it installed on a computer. It's a VM image, follow directions and once you get it working, log in and input your car details then head to section 83 (Doors and Lids) and find the sunroof. Parts, repair procedures, functional description, troubleshooting, it's all in there.

Good luck with your repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts