SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
quick question- i am installing a rear view camera on the xc90 and it is a replacement style for the license plate lamp- i assume it is a universal volvo spec but it doesn't match with the existing lamp styles (ie oem has 1 screw, camera has 2 screws) and no way to use existing lamp with camera
anyone else tried this? any suggestions? i looked at mulitple years of the xc90 and they all seem to use the same rear license plate lamp style. Possible to mod with other volvo parts?
thanks

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi I've installed one with similar camera as you describe, on our 2010 which has the 2 screw type plate light. Even then it wasn't an exact match and I found that the enclosure for the tag lamps are such that I had to cut the bracket and trim the camera/light to fit. Worked out well, I preferred cutting into the light assembly rather than the actual tail gate just in case I screwed up. I figured replacing the assembly would be less costly than having to replace a whole tailgate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so for the 2010 your black plastic piece actually has 2 screws for each of the license plate bulb covers?
thats the info i was wondering about because every part diagram i find for the later models show the same type as on my 2004

do you have any pics of your install?
i would appreciate it

thanks

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hey sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Here's the camera I installed along with monitor. Except for rough around the edges cutting to fit the camera within the plate light socket I've been pretty pleased with how it turned out. I deliberated quite a bit about how to do it and i think this was the least risky and also gets the camera closest to center. I still have plans to mod my install a bit more including wiring the camera to a switch to turn it on and auto pop up the display on demand, not just when in reverse.

In the meantime here is my camera.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Very nice, I did not notice what brand you used, sorry if I missed it but would like a link to where I could shop it online.

thx,

P

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Xc90 back up

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn the navigation monitor into the back up camera monitor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
So are you using the built in Navigation screen as the back-up camera monitor or did you install a separate monitor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts