SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my Black Friday score last week was a complete 2004 S60R Engine, Complete from throttle to turbo and was pulled from a running car. I left early Friday Morning with a Uhaul trailer and drove 4 hrs from Charlotte NC, to Greenville, NC. Vehicle had 114K on it with excellent service history. The car has suffered a angle gear failure and the guy just didn't want to fix that and a few other items so the deal was made and I had scored a engine for my most recent purchase of a 2004 XC90 2.5T that a customers kid ran out of oil and the main and rod bearings bit it.

I was originally just going to swap a regular old 2.5T out of another XC90 or S60, V70 etc. but I came across this deal and could not pass it up. Most used part resellers wanted 800-1200 for a long block and that still left me needing a turbo as I believe the turbo in the XC90 I bought was dumping oil in the exhaust. Worst case I figured is I could sell off the turbo for $400 and still have a good longblock.

Here are a few pictures I took today

This particular XC90 is only a FWD so the engine swap should go much quicker. I hope to have this out and in this Saturday.
Obviously this engine has a little more potential than the 208HP engine which resided in there before. My plan is for a Custom Tune nothing crazy, Just a R Stage 1 Tune. This is going to be the wife's Daily Driver and she isn't a speed demon. So I will hopefully be writing on Sat. or Sun. how the install went. I'll take a few photos during the swap and note any hiccups that may arise.

Here are a few photos of the XC90. Inside is rather dirty. The kid didn't care about the car. It was a 1 Owner car 165K miles. Has third row seating. Drivers door has a little damage at bottom and passenger rear door has some white paint rubbed on but looks like it will come off with a little scrubbing. Headlights are cloudy, going to attempt to refinish them.

Investment so far
Car $900 (also had 4 brand new tires installed two weeks before the engine went)
Complete R Engine $1000
Audio Amp $90

Plans before dropping in:
PCV oil separator, might as well, its right there.
Rear Engine Seal and Torque Converter seal once trans is separated.
Spark plugs
Upper Torque Mount
$130 for above parts
$32 Mobil 1 Oil
$20 Antifreeze
$150 R Instrument Cluster
$455 Transmission
$28 Engine Speed sensor bracket
$32 Trans fluid Toyota Type IV
$5 Torque Converter Seal
$63 Rear Wheel bearings
I'll keep this updated as I go.
$2815 Total. Whats not included is labor. I did all this myself on my days off.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Subscribed. I cant wait to see how this one turns out should be one fun XC once its done.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Looks like it had an M66 attached before it was taken out. Now THAT would have been fun.....

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I got the donor R engine ready to install. Replaced the oil trap, breather hoses, cleaned block passages and vacuum passages. Replaced the rear engine seal.
Was able to get a 2hr head start and started prepping the XC90 for engine removal. Drained oil, trans fluid, coolant and power steering fluid. Disconnected wiring harness from ECM, removed exhaust downpipe connection at turbo. Removed heater hoses, transmission linkage, line connections, ground strap on trans, and wiring harness for trans. Removed front o2 sensor from downpipe, removed rear o2 sensor connector. Removed upper and lower radiator hose connections. Removed intercooler connections. Removed upper strut bar. Evacuated Freon and removed steering coupler from rack.

The plan is dropping the subframe with engine, trans and rack onto a hydraulic table I have at work.
Tomorrow I need to remove drive axles and will separate lower control arms from ball joints. Then its just the main subframe bolts and its out.
I would have had pictures but I forgot my phone today but I will get some photos tomorrow as I go.
Transferring the wiring harness will probably take the longest amount of time. I wish the fella who had removed the R engine had left it intact as I just could have used it and saved an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arrived at the shop at 8:15am and it looked like this

Prepared to lower onto hydraulic table.

A few hockey pucks to keep the trans level for after the engine is separated.

Engine out at 9:30am

Separated engine from transmission. Torque converter decided it was going to stay on flywheel. Made a little mess but thats ok, I have a floor machine to clean the floor.

R engine settled in. It was rather a pain to line the engine and trans up. I had to use another hockey puck to level the trans on the bump stop and a block of wood under the engine oil pan. Otherwise it was ok.

Its 1:15pm and its all ready to go back in. Just going to lower the vehicle onto the engine.

The wiring harnesses are almost the same. R has the oil level sensor which the XC does not and the R engine has the fuel pressure sensor which again the XC does not. So I probably could have not used the R harness anyway. Wasn't really bad switch it out. Basically left it connected to the subframe, took the starter out and flopped it over and out of the way and then removed the injector harness, coil harness. I did remove the lower control arms from the subframe to drop the engine. 1, I got to leave the drivers side axle in the trans which is a plus, they can be very aggravating to remove. 2. the lower control arms just didn't want to give enough to clear the ball joint end. I remember it taking two people the pry the control arm down far enough and well its only me here today.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You make it sound and look so easy.......

Wish I had a shop like that to work in.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worked until 4:30. The engine is completely in all hooked up. Only thing left was to add oil and fluid. I do still need to get the tune. I did have one setback that really upset me. It appears the new toque converter seal is leaking. Its definitely dripping. So it looks like the trans will need to come back out. I'll probably do that next weekend as I'm a little bummed about that.

Here it is though settled in its new home.

I will admit it is nice to have a nice clean shop to work in.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Like I was saying in the other thread, I had an idea about doing the R swap in an XC90 month as ago. I even started a thread on it, great minds think alike.

The though process that lead me down this path was simple, I have come to the conclusion that the V70R might just be too hard core for the awful Utah roads as a daily driver. I think either an XC 90 or XC 70 may be my next daily driver and the R will be moved to weekend warrior status.

Now I love the XC90 but the engine choices suck. You either try to find a rare V8 that loses a full second in the 1/4 mile up here at my altitude , or a T6 with plenty of turbocharged torque but that garbage as GM trans. So really the 2.5t is the best option but it needs some more hp. I'm not saying it needs to be a 500 hp beast, but enough power if you want to tow something would be nice. The XC90's have a 5,000 lb weight limit for towing, 5,000 lbs is a lot of weight for only 208 hp.

Did I mention that I have an entire R motor sitting around in my shop (in fact most of my 04 v70R parts car) sitting in my shop.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Like I was saying in the other thread, I had an idea about doing the R swap in an XC90 month as ago. I even started a thread on it, great minds think alike.

The though process that lead me down this path was simple, I have come to the conclusion that the V70R might just be too hard core for the awful Utah roads as a daily driver. I think either an XC 90 or XC 70 may be my next daily driver and the R will be moved to weekend warrior status.

Now I love the XC90 but the engine choices suck. You either try to find a rare V8 that loses a full second in the 1/4 mile up here at my altitude , or a T6 with plenty of turbocharged torque but that garbage as GM trans. So really the 2.5t is the best option but it needs some more hp. I'm not saying it needs to be a 500 hp beast, but enough power if you want to tow something would be nice. The XC90's have a 5,000 lb weight limit for towing, 5,000 lbs is a lot of weight for only 208 hp.

Did I mention that I have an entire R motor sitting around in my shop (in fact most of my 04 v70R parts car) sitting in my shop.
Its a totally strait forward swap. There were no surprises. The oil feed line on the K24 Turbo will hit the bulkhead head shield but I used a pry bar and gently bent it 1/4" so it didn't touch. One thing I did notice is on the downpipe just after the cat is really smooshed down, I mean really smooshed. It appears to me that a good DP would really help it out. It didn't look like a OBX would direct swap in but might be close enough that a custom shop could cut it and make it fit.

I would say go for it. Even better if you can find a XC that needs a engine like I did. I'm going to contact Hilton Tuning tomorrow about a custom tune. I didn't start it yet as I ran out of time but I don't see why it wouldn't run even with the larger injectors, just may run rich and toss a fuel trim fault and may not like the larger Mass Air Flow. I'll keep the thread updated. Let me know if I can assist with anything, well except on a torque converter seal. That really has me bitter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I thought about doing something similar.... Until I saw a post a while back that with xc90 with just the k24 turbo killed the transmission within a short amount of time.... So with that I gave up on all my xc90 upgrade plans...

You know with the xc90 being the mommy mobile.. I've got a v70r and xc70 for modding..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Two thumbs up, this is stellar work and a very cool kickass project!! :D KILLER Mom-mobile too!! :D

-Steve

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought about doing something similar.... Until I saw a post a while back that with xc90 with just the k24 turbo killed the transmission within a short amount of time.... So with that I gave up on all my xc90 upgrade plans...
Its the same transmission in the 04 05 R and same trans in the XC70. Its a heavier vehicle sure. Mine is only FWD so a little lighter and some torque stress could be alleviated by wheel spin vs a AWD which will not spin so the the possibility of more heat buildup in the torque converter and fluid would be a concern. The notion a K24 turbo killed the transmission is debatable. Was the transmission properly serviced its whole life? Were fluid changes done? I've seen my fair share of failed Volvo Transmissions and almost all of them were never serviced. Litetime Fluid they say. So I think with proper service the trans wouds be ok. If I do need a trans, well thats $4-500 and 4-5 hrs to replace.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Great job and compliments for nice service. Its pitty to read again and again that so many bevel gears gone I also changed my on 177000 km but already on 144000 km gone. 1200 Eur factory volvo repaired not new they sell to us and they wont old one back. Shame. We paid for old and they sell it again to others...

Sent from Casio Data Bank 128 Kb 93'

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Atf oil in transmission "life time" is big bull**** from Volvo Car Corporation a d need to be changed every 50-80.000 km if you wish to avoid 5000$ new...I change regularly now atf 3309 and knock on wood trans have 229000 km. XC90 2.5t 2006. Life time oil will interesting Nasa and Japanese...LOL.

Sent from Casio Data Bank 128 Kb 93'

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well she's running. Went in this morning for just a few minutes to add fluids. Found a small hole in the coolant reservoir hose before adding coolant (its always a good idea to leak test the system before you add coolant, especially when swapping a engine). I was able to swap that out with the one that came out of the car so yeah for a complete engine.

Vacuum filled the cooling system. Topped up power steering fluid, added 4 qts Toyota Type IV Trans fluid. Filled with 6 qts Mobil 1 5W-30. Fired up the first hit of the starter. No misfires, silky smooth. Let it run a few minutes. It did start to smoke slightly out the tailpipe but that was expected due to the failed turbo in there before so the exhaust was full of oil. After a few minutes longer the smoking stopped. I'm very excited for the engine running so well. It doesn't have a correct tune on it yet so I only drove it around a little. Seems to be running just fine. Started it 4-5 times and no check engine light so thats good. Now just to fix the torque converter seal. Its does seem to be leaking less as it ran longer but its still leaking so grrrrrr.

Thanks for tuning in. I'll keep it updated as I fix the trans, probably next weekend. Then I'll grab a Hilton Tune. I'd rather wait to make sure everything works and no more leaks.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very cool idea and very impressed with your progress. Seems like most people who attempt these kinds of projects end up with a project car that never sees the light of day! I hope this results in a reliable and fun vehicle for you!

Once you are done, you should take it to your local Volvo dealership for an oil change just to see the surprise on their faces when they open the hood. :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts