SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEL just displayed in my 2004 XC90 2.5T about 190K mi. Read code as ECM-400C using VIDA; defined as minor fuel leak. I looked at it in VIDA and it seems there's a test for it. I think it tests the LDP, but it asks if the software has been updated. In looking online; it seems the test shouldn't be performed if the update has not been done. Is there a specific number I can look for in VIDA for the update or any way to tell other than taking it to the dealer (far away for me)?

Another thing. Searching online for ECM-400C, it seems the majority of the posts referencing ECM-400C are for a catalytic converter efficiency? My copy of VIDA says the minor fuel leak. Did the code change year to year or by model? What gives?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Codes change at 2005. ECM 400c or 404c for 2004 is a undifferentiated leak (404c says large but diagnostic page is the same for both). After 2005 it's differentiated as 434C (small leak) or 439C (large leak).

Walking through VIDA , if it asks if a software upgrade has been performed, click yes and give the leakage test a try. Some good description in the diagnostics section- Leak diagnostics (certain markets only) for noting pre-04 and post-05 model differences.

There may well be an ECM software upgrade for your model year relating to emissions, thought it was a modification to leak detection parameters in order to avoid some CELs that folks had reported many years ago. Next time you have to go to a dealer, ask them to check. I might not consider this upgrade a mandatory since the vehicle has worked fine in the past, right?

Once you determine which classification of leak the vehicle is experiencing, it should help in troubleshooting. If your gas cap is original, check the sealing ring if only to omit (can present as a small leak if ring is torn)- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ve-Emission-System-Leak-Detected-(small-leak)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts