SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2004 XC90, 140K, Three months, Two big repairs

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rfkuehn 
#1 ·
Mid-summer it was the Central Electronic Module. Failure was at high speed on the DC beltway, instruments & dashboard electricals died. And the tranny went into crawl-home mode. Last week it was the motor mounts, engine fell out of position & also tore an intake hose. Car brought itself to nice gentle stop - from high speed onto the shoulder of 66 just outside DC.

Now that I've dropped several thousand into repairs, wife is screaming to dump it for anything that says Honda-Toyota-Acura-Lexus. How dreadfully dull.

That said, what is going on? My prior car was a 1990 (built first month, first year) Mitsubishi Eclipse. Nothing like this ever happened, though I did have to replace the clutch after 120K and mods to intake/wastegate/exhaust. It lasted 13 years, 212K.

It may be crazy to expect Mitsubishi levels of reliability from a Volvo, but call me officially disappointed a mere nine years in.

#4 ·
140k and a wear item (motor mount) fails. So? No comment on the CEM. I recently dropped about 2k on our 06 with 82k on subframe bushings, rear hubs (wheel bearings) and brakes. i am sorry i didnt do the motor mounts. Now i know i can probably go to 140k. thanks.

#6 ·
From what I read the CEM issue is a common one on <= 2005 or so, the design was as such that water from the rain or a car wash could easily get in there and of course make things go haywire. I believe they made an improvement for the 2005 model year and the final improved design (as far as keeping water out) was made some time during the 2006 model year.

#9 ·
Motor mounts - all of them. Forgot to mention - that *wasn't* the first motor mount repair. Perhaps I could blame the repair shop for missing early indications of trouble?

CEM - mine's 2004, guy at shop told me 2004-5 he'd seen several that were having issues with the DC summer (unusally hot) as he took my credit card & smiled. At least the part # was different, must be that improved design (kind of like the rear wheel bearings that were re-designed, and then replaced at my expense).

Nice to have these two incidents on fast-moving highways. I was expecting great reliability in return for being garaged and getting all the book services, on time. Just bitter - need to go scowl at something.

So based on my year-two Volvo, I wouldn't consider buying a SPA until about year four. If the XC90 lasts until 2018 with no more big surprises, I'll consider it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.