SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to replace the power steering fluid in my 2004 XC70.
I could use some advise.
Should I disconnect the suction hose from the reservoir and run it to a bucket to collect the old fluid? If not, what hose goes in the bucket?
How much power steering fluid do you think I may need?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Turn the car on and suck it out of the resivoir with a lil hand pump or something till there's not much in there. Then add and then turn the wheel lock to lock until it doesn't whine and is topped off. Don't over fill.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I did this recently.

1. Drain or suck the old fluid out of the reservoir
2. Refill the reservoir with new fluid
3. Disconnect the return line from the reservoir and run it to a waste container
4. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock while also keeping the reservoir topped up. No need to start the engine!
5. Repeat until new fluid comes out of the return line

You'll need 1-2L of CHF 202 fluid

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the return line be the "suction hose"?
about how many qts of Volvo P/S fluid can I expect to go thru?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my 2004, I have a desent size hose running from the pump to the bottom of the reservoir and a little smaller hose running from the bottom side of the reservoir to the steering rack, this hose seems to be a little more robust compaired to the one at the bottom of the reservoir.
Which one is the return line?

freedomfries, thanks for the info. I was able to find a reference to CHF 11s in my owners manual. This is about $6 cheeper than the "Volvo" brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smaller hose is the return line

CHF11S is superseded by 202 but both are work
thanks I'll make note of that.

I was topping off the fluid after I posted the above and I noticed this word on the hose off the side of the reservoir, "RETURN".

Wish I saw that last week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts