SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming from the dark side here - I just sold my 1991 Saab 900 and have been on the search for a 2001-2007 XC70 to replace it for several months now. Something I can drive for the next 5-10 years. I caught a 2004 XC70 with only 62,000 miles for sale online. They're asking $7,300. Crystal Green. Taupe interior. No lights on on the dash. One owner. No accidents. A Carfax full of dealer oil changes, brake pads, tires etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. I went to check it out this weekend. Its a dealer that got the car on a trade in. It basically looked like a new car inside and out. I couldn't find any visible signs of wear on the interior aside from some on the center console and some chipping around the stereo on the dash fascia. Under the car, inside the wheel wells, in engine compartment, everything looked pretty much like new. I go to take the car for a test drive and noticed there's a steering wheel vibration at 60 that goes away at 65. The Pirelli's are from 2010 so I'm guessing a new set of balanced tires might solve it. I also noticed a gas smell. Not at any particular time, just all the time, a hint of gas. There is also no mention of a timing belt being done.

What do you think?

First thing I'd do is get a new set of tires on there. Second, the timing belt is due for a change. Also the transmission could use a flush soon, even though it worked fine when driving. Most importantly though, that gas smell. That worries me a bit. I know how much of a pain it could be to change the fuel pump, but then it could also just be something simpler like the gas cap, a line somewhere or a filter.

I'm excited about the prospect of a car that I can put more miles on than it currently has, but I'm not too excited about having to immediately start working on "new to me" car. I wanna drive this thing.

Thoughts? Your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sounds like a decent car. I think you have a good handle on what it needs. Timing belt, serp belt, all fluids. Make sure the AWD system is working. Not always easy to tell. The gas smell is concerning. Maybe PPI by a Volvo dealer or indie would be prudent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it a Volvo dealer that has the car? Either way for a good solid car as it sounds you have a serious bargaining chip with the pending required service and the fuel smell & vibration (a good high speed balance may fix that without tires while you sort out the car). No matter what dealer has the car, with the fuel smell you can get their attention to bargain. Others know waaay more than I about these wagons. I decided I wanted an XC70 and searched for a few months and found a 85K mi one owner dealer serviced example. As a heads up the items mentioned above and a few others including water pump, was south of $2k but happy with the long term view.
With a PPI and the known costs in front of you, you may be able to negotiate the majority of the future service out of the asking price if the inspection is positive.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
2004 and no sign of timing belt change? That is a sign of poor maintenance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They probably choked on the cost from their Volvo dealer and decided to trade it in!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gold76,

I still have a 2004 XC70 which was bought new. There was a recall to fix the fuel tank pump unit due to a leak which resulted in a strong gas smell inside the car. The valid period of the recall was for 10 years from initial purchase so that Volvo might not fix your car for free. You might be able to negotiate with Volvo.

You should check the operation of the PCV.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
We bought a really low mileage 02 V70XC that was clean, suspension felt tight, new tires, drove well. I do like the car a lot, but it has cost me a ton over the life of it so far, and about to cost me more. I did have the same fuel smell and we got it repaired by the dealer for free and it was 12 years old the first time. The SECOND time (yes, a second time), the dealer covered that cost but mysteriously the gas gauge stopped working when they had reassembled it so they had to disassemble and charge me for the labor and the sending unit (hmm). I asked why they didn't test everything before reassembly and they dropped 50% of the labor cost.

Since an 04 is 15-16 model years old, you'll need to expect that things are going to go wrong. It's just plain age. NOT driving a car can be almost as bad as driving it too much. If you can get the price down low enough and save some cash for unexpected things, it's probably a good purchase. Glad we had AAA.

We had a/c go out, a hub, alternator (twice), fuel pump (twice). I paid to have the TB done, belts, etc. It's a super comfy cruiser, and can't be beat for the price of these repairs but they can be costly if you've no ability to do the work yourself. I'm about to order brakes, tie rods another hub assembly and attempt the work myself.

Get VIDA/DICE if you want to avoid costs and diagnose things on your own.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
$7300 seems high to me.
Yes. But, I'm sure the dealer is trying to leverage the low miles. JRL has posted a few super clean, low mile XC70s going for ridiculously high prices at auctions. So, not unprecedented.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NADA clean retail value on that car is $5,000 so the asking price is about 33% overpriced. I would say $5,000 would be the top end if it was 100% PERFECT. Work them over for a new set of tires and timing belt service with new idlers, tensioner & waterpump; maybe even a PCV service. If they go for it would be reasonable for a real low mileage XC in very good shape.

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
Way overpriced for a 15 year old car that will need a full stage 0.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That price seems totally appropriate to me and then if they come down another 500 or so it seems like a great deal. I'd want to know more about those two concerns before going further but if it's as clean as you say it's definitely worth it.

I think it's unreasonable not to expect or want to pay more for clean low mileage examples of cars. Good examples are getting tougher to find!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yes. But, I'm sure the dealer is trying to leverage the low miles. JRL has posted a few super clean, low mile XC70s going for ridiculously high prices at auctions. So, not unprecedented.
Yeah but they were 06-07 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We bought a really low mileage 02 V70XC that was clean, suspension felt tight, new tires, drove well. I do like the car a lot, but it has cost me a ton over the life of it so far, and about to cost me more. I did have the same fuel smell and we got it repaired by the dealer for free and it was 12 years old the first time. The SECOND time (yes, a second time), the dealer covered that cost but mysteriously the gas gauge stopped working when they had reassembled it so they had to disassemble and charge me for the labor and the sending unit (hmm). I asked why they didn't test everything before reassembly and they dropped 50% of the labor cost.

Since an 04 is 15-16 model years old, you'll need to expect that things are going to go wrong. It's just plain age. NOT driving a car can be almost as bad as driving it too much. If you can get the price down low enough and save some cash for unexpected things, it's probably a good purchase. Glad we had AAA.

We had a/c go out, a hub, alternator (twice), fuel pump (twice). I paid to have the TB done, belts, etc. It's a super comfy cruiser, and can't be beat for the price of these repairs but they can be costly if you've no ability to do the work yourself. I'm about to order brakes, tie rods another hub assembly and attempt the work myself.

Get VIDA/DICE if you want to avoid costs and diagnose things on your own.
Good luck bro, that suspension is no joke to work on, few loaner tools needed. Vida/dice not necessary, get the obd/volvo tool from amazon. Vida takes 10+ hours to install, diagnose and learn, obd tool takes 10 mins.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
2004 is the last XC70 with a repairable electronics. 2005 has CEM with CPU and flash in one encrypted chip. I would buy a 2004 back in 2012 if I knew what was changed for MY2005 :)

Yes, as others said you'll be looking at replacing a good half of the car...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
But VIDA provides 1000x more information than an OBDII tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've never needed any of that extra stuff really (part layouts and etc), I mean if you really want it go ahead, i was a CS major and found it to be a major pain in the ass to install and use. Didn't get too far into it. Then again, I hate learning new software to begin with.
Anyway, the OBD tool im talking about gives all the same codes that vida/dice does though. It's basically a mini-vida that just gives you codes, that'll clear your CEL and airbag lights as well.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
I've never needed any of that extra stuff really (part layouts and etc), I mean if you really want it go ahead, i was a CS major and found it to be a major pain in the ass to install and use. Didn't get too far into it. Then again, I hate learning new software to begin with.
Anyway, the OBD tool im talking about gives all the same codes that vida/dice does though. It's basically a mini-vida that just gives you codes, that'll clear your CEL and airbag lights as well.
The parts catalogue by vin is easily the most sandboxed part of vida. That being said, all the workshop manual and repair guides are awfully helpful when you need them.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Good luck bro, that suspension is no joke to work on, few loaner tools needed. Vida/dice not necessary, get the obd/volvo tool from amazon. Vida takes 10+ hours to install, diagnose and learn, obd tool takes 10 mins.
The VIDA VM image is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts