SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 XC70 with 235,600 miles. No recent work except for timing belt/water pump 6 months ago and an oil change about 2,000 miles ago.

Monday I ran some errands, picked up my daughter from school, and filled up on the way home. I got home around 3:30 PM. Around 9:00 PM I went out to head to work and my garage smelled like gasoline. No gas cans in the garage, fuel shut off on both motorcycles, and my wife's XC90 was also sitting in there. Strong odor of gasoline inside of my car. No puddles or signs of drips under the vehicle. No signs of leaking from a quick glance around the fuel rail on the motor.

Drove to work and left this morning. A little harder to start this morning (maybe 3s longer of cranking) and a smell of gasoline inside and around my car. Same thing, no puddles, no drips, no gas around fuel rail at a quick glance. Fuel cap was screwed on properly.

Left for work again this afternoon and the garage smelled like gasoline again and so did the inside of my car. A little longer to start again, maybe 3s extra cranking. Same deal, no visible leaks. Filled up again (90 miles one way) and went on my way. Got to work, left one work site to go to another and had the longer start time and smell of gasoline again.

Where do I start tracking down this problem? I am not the original owner and I don't know it's complete service history. As long as I've owned it, it hasn't had anything done to the fuel system. I have no discernible loss of power or fuel mileage and the engine seems to run just fine with normal idling and no surging.

·
Registered
57 Posts
J
The recall was only valid for 10 years from the date of entering into service. There are threads on epoxying the top of the fuel pump. The top is under the rear seats. I had my fuel pump replaced under the recall several years ago.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the fuel pump in sight. There is a bunch of fuel on top. It looks like it's coming from the white plastic "tower" that is round and split into 4 parts at the top with a + sign of plastic. I'll try JB weld on it after I clean it up, but I suspect I'll go ahead and replace the pump not too far down the road. NAPA wants $350 for an OEM one. Although the car has 235k miles on it, it's in great shape and has had a lot of maintenance over the last couple years that really extends it's longevity. I'd even drop a replacement motor in it at this point if it went tits up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned up the whole area with rubbing alcohol and Q tips and then carb cleaner and Q tips. I mixed up a bunch of JB Weld and filled it all in. We'll see how it does tomorrow on the way to work.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
OK - recalled seeing this thread in the last week, so I dug it up. I am smelling fuel also when I walk by or am driving the wife's XC (2002). How difficult is this to get to so I can investigate and see if I have the same issue? Does it have to be lifted to access?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Several days later and all is well. Its fixed!

Access is easy. Unhook battery, remove passenger rear seat, lift up the carpet, and open the access panel.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Really?!? Ok - if this continues then that is what I will do! Thanks, Judd's!

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Thanks for the link. Looks like it is very detailed and thorough. So- after you cleaned it all up, where did you place the JB weld? All over the top, but inside of the retaining ring (minus the electrical connection)? You probably didn't take a picture, did you...? Or was the crack/split evident and you simply did that area?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fill in the entire white circle with the + in it. That's what a couple threads I found over various sites recommended and that's where the gas was pooled when I took a look at the pump. I couldn't see a leak anywhere or any signs of cracking. I circled the area in red (picture from the other thread). I did not take any pictures of mine all epoxied.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had mine fixed via the recall, The dealer should honor it. It makes zero sense for them to recall a problem then after x amount of years just say oh yeah we don't fix that problem anymore. Just my two cents I'd see if the local dealer will honor the recall notice.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Update: After weeks and weeks and weeks of dealing with this, among other things, I had the car repaired to resolve a bad alternator and a few other things that needed attention. Then I took it to Scan in Rockville, MD (great shop) to get the fuel pump looked at/repaired, and they confirmed the leaking fuel pump. It was all over the bottom of the tank when they showed me up on the lift. They suggested this was an expensive repair to make right, and that I should take it to a dealer to have rectified under the warranty recall. Hard to believe, but with 100,79x miles on the odometer, and being 14 model years old, the DEALER will fix it for free, including the diagnostic fees. At first, I heard 10 years and 120K were the limits from VNA on the phone. I did not expect to have this positive result, and am amazed. I did call Volvo North America and plead my case first. They set up a case number and called on my behalf after it was there at the dealer. All hail Volvo. Volvo For Life, baby. Volvo...For...Life!

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Phil and Bruce at Scan said they have never seen Volvo turn this issue away. It's probably still got a shelf life though, right? Still- 14 model years old is impressive! Is this inherent to just p2 wagon or could my s60 have the same potential problem at some point?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts