SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 XC70 is on the fritz again. 241k miles on it so far and still in great shape. 1.5 years ago, I had a bunch of work done by the dealership, which included right front axle replacement. I wanted them to do the left front axle at the same time. The mechanic said he tried for 3 days using all of his tricks, and he couldn't get it to come out of the transmission. There are a few threads around with people doing ridiculous efforts attempting to remove a stuck axle from the transmission with no good outcome. The mechanic said Volvo assembled those things without grease, and that is why they seize in there like that. We agreed that it would be best not to damage the transmission at that point and just keep driving on it since it was still good.

Well, now it's not. I haven't inspected to see what part of it is bad, but I'd put my money on the left axle gone bad based on the symptoms.

My general question is, can I buy a whole new axle assembly and simply take it apart at the U joint nearest to the transmission and put the new axle on from that point outboard using the new U-joint? I'm pretty sure that the splines are never going to come out of the transmission and I honestly don't think it's worth putting a new transmission in the car.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yes.

Dependig on the inner joint you may be able to replace the cage while its in the transmission and simply rebuild your existing shaft.

I'd call a driveline shop and find out what parts are available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give it a valiant effort to remove it, but if it's too much trouble, I think I'm just going pull the tripod joint out of the housing on the new axle and put it into the old housing that's seized into the transmission. It should cost me a packet of grease and a new boot clamp in addition to the cost of an axle to do it that way and it's not likely the tripod housing got damaged.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Here's a catalog from ProParts
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...mZG3OQ&usg=AFQjCNG56J0kXL4pwvffJzM5UQn4SckwTw

The mechanic said he tried for 3 days using all of his tricks, and he couldn't get it to come out of the transmission.
Dealer fed me the same story and said the transmission had to be replaced, I took it to another shop and they had no issues with it (this was all on the PO's dollar). Approx. 20-30k later the boot split and contaminated the joint so I opted for a Volvo rebuilt as I was (and always am) tight for time and didn't want to deal with aftermarket headache. I was surprises at how easy mine came out. I used a small pry bar and kept prying it while rotating it slightly at the same time, but I know these can be a pain and the replacement I installed felt tighter so it may bear to remove.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'd also like to say that while I have not personally taken out one from an AW55, every FWD transmission I've ever pulled a stub out of had the seal outside the splines. So they're lubricated by ATF.

I'm not sure how they could get stuck other than the circlip just being a PITA, and sometimes they are that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi guys,

It is a 2004 V70 FWD with 110K...

I want to replace the boots (inner and outer).
Can I leave the Inner CV Joint in the transmission?
In other words, after the rubber boot is removed, can I simply slide the Tripod out, is there anything holding the tripod in place like small tangs?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's pinched on the edges, but you can force it out. Make sure you have marked the position on both parts of the axle, so you can assemble it back as it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts