SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replace the coolant in my 2004 XC70 with new coolant.
Does anyone know how I should go about doing this?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There's a plug on the bottom drivers side of the radiator. You need an Allen key to undo it. Don't pull it out all the way, just loosen it and it'll drain. That's all the dealer does. Use volvo fluid or the blue Pentafrost fluid you can get at Napa

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
If you want to go the extra mile, the block drain is on the back of the motor right behind the water pump. Drain that too and you'll get almost all the old coolant out. Here's a photo, you'll have to jack the car up and lay on your back to find it I think.

http://volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/afterjun00/BlockDrainR.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lloyd, do you know if a thread sealant of any kind needs to be to the plug threads when the plug is re-installed?

I have two gallons of the Volvo coolant and it recommends a 50/50 mix with water. If I'm reading it correctly, this coolant is not pre-mixed from the manufacture. Is that right?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The coolant drains are designed to be opened and closed without sealing the threads. And yeah mix the coolant with non tap water. I use the gallons of filtered purified stuff from the grocery store, less than a buck a gallon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts