SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new member here. I have a 2004 S60R with only 72,000 miles. I have kept it in a good condition and don't really drive too aggressively as it is mostly used as a family car. I was told by the Volvo dealer during recent maintenance that my front struts are leaking and provided me with an astronomical estimate of around $2500 or so. I did some research online and it seems that the least expensive 4-C strut is $413.00 on Amazon.

The reason I joined this forum is I would like to get an idea on what others have done. I don't know anything about repairing car so I'll most probably find a mechanic locally that knows Volvos to see if I can get a more reasonable estimate.

Questions:
Do I need to have 4-c Struts
Can I just put standard S60 AWD struts or will I have other problems with those? I can live without electronic suspension as long as it is not going to pose any other problems.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Adnan

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
There are a few options. For someone who isn't mechanically inclined enough to swap out a new suspension, going with new 4C struts will be your best bet. Lots of people switch to KW coilovers, but that will take some work.

The issue with using something other than 4C replacement struts is the computer will throw an error code because the 4C sensors in the struts aren't being used. There are ways around this but can be somewhat involved.

There are places to get struts cheaper. RockAuto or Tasca are popular places. Our 4C struts are pretty rare and can be hard to find a good deal on. Hopefully someone chimes in who has replaced struts recently and can give some updated price info and where to buy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The part number is C2501 for the front and C1501 for the rear. Monroe is the OEM, so don't worry about them being non-Volvo branded. Do some googling and you can get lucky with prices.

I did mine about a month and a half ago, but I'd been meaning to do them for longer than that. Rockauto gets them from time to time, so I just kept checking until some were in stock and picked up a pair of fronts for ~$270 each when they were in stock. "While you're in there" replacements of the bump stop/bellows and spring seat are advised, since they're cheap.

All of this information is readily available in the forum, so here's my obligatory scolding on searching/checking the stickies first.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Amazon has the C1501's for $0.79 cheaper that Rock Auto (with shipping) if you have Prime. :p

·
Registered
535 Posts
Last I looked Rockauto.com had them in stock, if you do some further googling you'll also find a 5% off coupon to use with your order. Yeah I know, 5% doesn't seem like much, but Rockauto is already one of the cheapest sites for car parts, and every little bit helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.