SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a deposit down on an out-of-state 2004 V70R.

It is just under 70K miles, red on Atacama.

I have previously owned a 2006 V50, but the family outgrew that and we are getting back into the fold.

I will go and check out the car early next week. Beyond the typical used car inspection, is there anything specific that the Swedespeed community recommend I check out?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Angle gear leakage, strut leakage, leather condition, power steering reservoir, tire wear. More will chime in with what I'm missing.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Slave cylinder.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Nice find, red/atacama/manual are few and far inbetween.

70k, I'd look into if the slave cyl was replaced (and hopefully the clutch & flywheel had work done or replaced as well) as 70k seems to be the average mileage for slave to fail but don't take that verbatim, there are a lot of people that were able to go far beyond that, and there are a few that was far before that as well.

Obviously you want to ask about all service history. At 70k I'd also look for brake pad wear, rotors too for that matter but the rotors are very durable.

Angle gear and strut were already mentioned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I have to do a little reading on a few of these things. Fortunately, the dealer that is selling the car (the guy traded the V70R in on a new Audi S4) has already told me the name of the dealer who sold it and, so far, all service records actually appear in the car fax. I am going to call the dealer to ask about the car without asking for the records, which some places get testy about. But not all.

What I know is that it is a two-owner, with the second owner titling it at 11 months old with 13,000 miles on it.

As far as non-maintenance service done, the sway bar links were replaced at 27K, engine mounts at 40K (is that a common problem?) and that's about it beyond some oil changes and generic "vehicle serviced" listed on the Carfax.

As far as I can tell, no other major service. The leather looks fairly clean (in pictures) with some popped stitching on the outside driver's bolster, but that doesn't bother me too much. A few scratches on the bezel outside the space ball are also a minor deal. I could see some minor curb rash in the photos, but nothing I (unfortunately) haven't been guilty of myself in the past.

I will likely get a chance to see the car next week. If all goes well, I will pick it up then.

Stay tuned...

Terry

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That is a nice one! Interior looks great in photos.
I know you have to be anxious to collect it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sometimes the sway bar end links produce a clunking noise when going over bumps, so that is why they were probably replaced. Or they were just worn out. The upper engine mounts on these cars are weak and deteriorate quickly. So changing it out is normal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah! You guys must be on the pulse of what's for sale. The car is in New Jersey and I am in Vermont. My current daily driver is a 2002 BMW M coupe. I did the winter last year here, which was pretty mild. But we need a second car that can accommodate our family (three kids seven and under, all with booster or full-blown child seats). I have been looking for a long time and this one seems the right combination of miles/price/features/complete lack of mods. An M coupe with snow tires is a blast, to be sure, but not the ideal Vermont car in winter.

Pretty stoked to see the V70R, but also ready to walk away if it turns out to be a pile. (But fairly confident it is not.)

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Fortunately, the dealer that is selling the car (the guy traded the V70R in on a new Audi S4)
Good choice; though not as roomy as the VR. :p

As far as non-maintenance service done, the sway bar links were replaced at 27K, engine mounts at 40K (is that a common problem?) and that's about it beyond some oil changes and generic "vehicle serviced" listed on the Carfax.

As far as I can tell, no other major service.
If the slave cylinder was not replaced with the revised damper unit, be prepared to drop $2K in the near future when the original lets go. Other than that, typical items such as 4C shocks/struts and angle gear (i.e. make sure that the AWD is working) are on the radar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jeeze you guys are fast. I just saw this one on their website an hour ago :(.... I was ready to hop in the car and go check it out (only an hour from me)

Good luck! Nice find!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Don't be surprised if someone beats you to it if you are waiting untl next week. There are never many of these cars for sale at any one time and a manual atacama wagon is even more desireable, though I'm not a fan of the atacama interior with a red car, just me. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I know they are fairly rare, particularly manual wagons, but they have my deposit, are writing the contract, etc. The only caveat is if for some reason the car does not check out when I go to look at it. So, it is, for all intents and purposes, sold.

It just so happens I like the Atacama interior. The salesman was adamant that the interior was not orange and it only looked like it in the pictures. I tried to reassure him that I was quite cool with the color. Quite cool.

Our previous Volvo was a 2006 V50 FWD with the T-Tec interior, which I also found quite nice.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Oops, sorry, missed that part in your first post about the deposit.

I did see the pics online today and it looks to be in very good shape.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When you get it, please do me a favor and either plasti dip/forever black/whatever you 04 guys use to freshen the trim up because I saw it on cars.com and it looked like a grey Siberian tiger. That being said, the interior looks like its in good shape though. Looks like a pretty damn good price as well, assuming it has a clear title.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
When you get it, please do me a favor and either plasti dip/forever black/whatever you 04 guys use to freshen the trim up because I saw it on cars.com and it looked like a grey Siberian tiger. That being said, the interior looks like its in good shape though. Looks like a pretty damn good price as well, assuming it has a clear title.
Forever black FTW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I saw that grayness going on there. Got to get rid of that, for sure. Get it nice and properly black again. When it happens, I'll be sure to post.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Once you forever black it, it will look like this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts