SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I noticed a few days ago my engine torque mount on my 2004 V70R with 62K miles was busted (see attached pics):

I called a few places and got quotes ranging from $300 to $500 to replace this ($240 for part, ~$100 for labor). Is this something a non-mechanical guy can do on his own? One place even said that it's not that dangerous and I can drive fine with it as is. It looks like all I have to do is unscrew two bolts and replace the bushing but I'm a total novice and would love some gearhead opinions. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - what kinda tools would I need to do this and what holds the engine up while I replace it? Also, how vital is it that I replace it?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It is a very simple job. No need to support the engine. You should notice a difference in the smoothness of your shifts.

First remove both these 13 mm bolts on both sides of the strut tower.

Then remove the bolt that goes through the old mount. They are 18mm.

Then remove the two clamps on the charge pipe with a flat head screwdriver.

Then remove the two T25 screws that hold the pipe down.

There are six screws that hold the blue cover on. They are T30.

Then remove the four bolts that hold the upper engine mount the the block. These are 13mm.

To put it back together simply do those directions backwards. A simple install even for a new guy.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Thanks - what kinda tools would I need to do this and what holds the engine up while I replace it? Also, how vital is it that I replace it?
You do not need to support the engine just swap them out. But you will need to remove the ote pipe to get to the bolt under the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You have the round mount, you can simply replace the bushing. Much simpler.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4740/111086-polyurethane-upper-engine-stabilizer-mount

Just remove the 18mm bolt, move the bracket down enough so you can get the clearance(you may need to loosen that bolt as well). Use a small hammer or mallet and hit it out, if that doesn't work, use a screw driver and punch out the metal bracket around it. You can mangle it if you want.

Then simply push in the new bushings (from both sides), insert the metal rod, then bolt up the 18mm again. Tighten the 18mm bolt while the engine is running, this eliminates some of the vibrations to the cabin.

btw, that $300 - $500 labour charge on this mount is ridonkculous

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Or the one from IDP...

·
Registered
876 Posts
That would work, but I have this and I have to say that I'm dissappointed in the fit and quality, especially for the price. Infact, I'm swapping it out for the iPD one (which is dark blue and also Polyurethane).

iPD also has a softer one, in light blue.
I can't find the light blue (softer) one on IPD site.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually purchased the one from IPD as it was almost $30 less expensive! Elevate charges $50 for shipping to WA state and IPD is in OR, no brainer. Anyway, I had it installed yesterday and can already feel a bit of difference (pics attached). But I wanted to ask, is more vibration normal? I read on a few blogs to expect it and just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Yep
Sorry no one told you that before you bought it
This is why they said buy the black, it's softer with (much) less vibration.
ANY and ALL of these poly mounts makes more vibration at idle, some more than others, that's the trade off

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will take the trade off of a much better handling car vs a bit more vibration. No biggie.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
It's much easier to notch the blue cover so you can access the bolt under and just remove the mount. Change the bushing and reinstall. No need to remove the whole bar and charge air tube.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's much easier to notch the blue cover so you can access the bolt under and just remove the mount. Change the bushing and reinstall. No need to remove the whole bar and charge air tube.
+1... The reason its hid under the cover is to prevent people from trying to do this themselves and make them to take the car to the dealer. There is no need for that at all. Just notch it and enjoy :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I replaced the whole mount as a novice when I first got my car. Very easy. There is a YouTube video if you search "Volvo Upper Mount Spark Plugs". I've done it for you, but I'm on my phone.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I also notched the cover when I first did mine.

Try having a friend tighten/loosen the bolt while the car is in drive to make the vibration not as harsh. It will still have a bit of vibration but not as much.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Once you switch to an IPD or Elevate poly bushing, how often should they be replaced? What's the service life of these?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts