SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you guys have some input for me.

I have always felt that my VR runs hot. Once warmed up, the coolant temp gauge runs rock solid in the middle regardless of outside temperature or how long its been running. That said, I get a lot of heat coming through the firewall at my feet. And with the heat on the hottest setting it's almost too hot, to the point where the vent louvers are extremely hot to the touch. The engine also remains hot for up to 3 hours after driving.

Is it just me being paranoid? I've been told I could have a seal or something dislodged in the firewall, and that could be where the heat on my feet is coming from.

In a possibly related note, I also get an exhaust/engine smell in the cabin under full throttle, which may support the idea that I have a seal dislodged somewhere.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
What you describe is normal in regards to the temperature gauge. The gauge is not linear, and is designed to be straight up when in an acceptable operating temperature range. I have owned both an '04 and an '05 V70R and both were the same while living in 110 degree Texas summers with AC always on.

In regard to heater outlet temperatures, these are cold climate produced cars, the heaters work!

There is a firewall grommet that can be easily dislodged, especially if work has been done on your car in that area. Check around the accelerator pedal, and steeering column for any grommet not in place.

It is a turbo charged, small displacement engine doing a lot of work, so it does get hot!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
...Once warmed up, the coolant temp gauge runs rock solid in the middle regardless of outside temperature or how long its been running...The engine also remains hot for up to 3 hours after driving....
It is a turbo charged, small displacement engine doing a lot of work, so it does get hot!
Same temperature gage display for my R too. The gage moves very quickly from cold (startup temp) to operating temperature (12 o'clock position) very quickly and stays there no matter the ambient outside temperature is or the A/C is on or off.

The engine generates a lot of heat, particularly with the turbo. The upper engine mount cross bar (looks like a strut tower brace) is almost untouchable because it is so hot. At 120 hp/L, it is a high output engine. If I plan to change my oil after work, I pull the car onto ramps in the garage, open the hood, and lay a big floor fan under the engine blowing up just to cool the thing down quickly. Otherwise, I have to wait a long time (~2 hours it seems) for it to cool with the hood closed.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Get yourself a scanguage II if you are concerned, it will show you the actual coolant temp. Mine runs between 190 & 224 (Fahrenheit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts