SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace all 4 tyres on my R. I've read loads of hot and cold about what brand to go for. On my previous Volvo S60 2.0T, had Vredestein Sportrack 5's which I was absolutely satisfied. Got 35K miles out of 1 set vs Hankook V112 15k miles, 8k miles from Falken 452's (worst ever) and the current Michelin Primacy's which have nearly no grip when it comes to wet.

So back to the R, it has 2 Pirelli's on the front and Conti Sports at the back. (I bought the car with these). The Conti's are worn out.
Option1: Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Stock size (235x45x17)
Option2: Good year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Stock size (235x45x17)
Option3: Vredestein Ultrac Vorti size (225x45x17) - not too keen on this even the tyre has been rated better
Option4: 2 from the same Pirelli what I have now.

Any advices are welcome!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport AS/3 I've heard good things, but Michelins were a little out of the budget given how bad the roads are here.

Continental DW or DWS06. Softer tire than the Michelin. I had DW, now I have DWS06... DW certainly handled better, and were unstoppable in the rain even when not warm (they were a summer tire). but I decided on DWS06 all seasons for overall acceptability, warranty, and price... A lot of price...yay rebates!. I don't expect to get 50k miles out of the DWS06 even though that's the treadwear warranty... I expect 30k.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have Nokian zLine tires on mine currently and I've never been more pleased with a set of tires for summer use. Not sure what they are priced at over there, but for me I paid $110 per tire all said and done with road-hazard coverage. Sport mode with the zLines is more comfortable than the comfort mode with the Continental ProContacts I had before. Wet handling was a night and day change between the two, but that's to be expected with Nokians. My fuel economy went up a tiny bit due to their low rolling resistance, but nothing too major. At the current rate of wear, I'd guesstimate that they will last somewhere in the 30-35k range before I will need to replace them. My one gripe is that they are a little loud, but I don't use the radio as much when I'm driving my R so that might factor into it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! Roads are pretty bad here in Ireland, loads of potholes and the overall quality is nowhere near to US or any other European roads. Looking at the Michelin Sport pilots, prices are steep and not too sure about the wear/how long they could last. Conti Sport 5's available only. Cannot get Nokian's at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Can confirm that the Falkens are utter trash. Got 10k miles out of mine, and they're damn 400 treadwear. And it's not like they were cheap either. For the same price, I could've bought some 200tw autocross tires and had them last for the same mileage

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Pretty sure I had the Goodyears you referenced, but it was 6 or 7 years ago. They didn't last very long (somewhere around 20k miles) and got very loud towards the end of their life. I'm also fairly certain the Michelin Pilot Super Sports come with a treadwear warranty, at least here, and it was pretty long. They are a summer only tire and might be kind of slick in colder-wetter winters, but their summer wet performance is fantastic.

Depending on how much wear you have on the front Pirellis, you may want to avoid option 4 as it puts extra stress on the AWD to have different tread depths (don't think running two different types of tires is recommended either).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Pretty sure I had the Goodyears you referenced, but it was 6 or 7 years ago. They didn't last very long (somewhere around 20k miles) and got very loud towards the end of their life. I'm also fairly certain the Michelin Pilot Super Sports come with a treadwear warranty, at least here, and it was pretty long. They are a summer only tire and might be kind of slick in colder-wetter winters, but their summer wet performance is fantastic.

Depending on how much wear you have on the front Pirellis, you may want to avoid option 4 as it puts extra stress on the AWD to have different tread depths (don't think running two different types of tires is recommended either).
Im running a staggered setup on my R, and the rolling diameter difference is 1/16" of an inch. After about 15k miles of use, my AWD is still working great! The haldex system can compensate for up to 3/32 difference in tread depth.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again! I'm tending to go for either Option1 (Vredestein Sessanta) or the Nokian zLine (after a half day search on the net finally found a distributor).
Did some research on the Nokian's and seems to be a strong wet performer, with stiff sidewalls which are crucial for me in as it rains a lot here and due to the potholes.
I'll take another look on the Michelin's, but unfortunately, there is no treadwear warranty in Ireland (as far as I'm aware) and prices are way above the other 2 mentioned before.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. Ended with the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (235/45/17). A cannot say anything but positive about the tyre. The noise decreased compared to the Pirelli Cinturato P7's and car is glued onto the road, both in dry and wet conditions.
Paid 91 EUR/corner and shipping was free.

http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/summer/ultrac-sessanta/info/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts