SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having done next to no troubleshooting on a turbo car before (I've managed to go from 140K kms to 236K kms without any turbo issues and my last car was NA), is there anything specific to the V70 T5 turbo setup I should keep an eye out for given the below scenario.

Driving on the 401, down shifted into boost (5th to 3rd @ 90kph), pulled hard seemed fine, went to roll on the throttle 30 seconds later and clearly had no boost, this persisted until I got home about 40kms later and it was pretty obvious that the car was getting zero boost as it could hardly get past 4500k RPM and I wasn't about to push it either.

The turbo sounded like it was spooling as you could hear it but no boost (revving the motor beside a wall I could hear the motor along with induction/turbo noise), so I started with checking my Forge piston CBV thinking it might be stuck open, but that didn't appear to be the case (serviced it anyways).

All vacuum lines are still attached but since they are original (234K kms old) I'm replacing them all with silicon lines, I'm going to check each one for pressure anyways.

I have a 2 y/o IPS HD TCV on the car now so I don't suspect it being an issue - still have my old lazy one just in case - is there anyway to test the TCV?

I'm also going to pressure test the IC, or should I just leak down test the whole system?

Is there anything else that I should be testing/checking?

Any insight and tips greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? From the sound of it, you may have had a large enough boost spike when downshifting and applying throttle to trigger the ECU into limp mode. Try doing a reset on the ECU and take the car for a drive to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No boost gauge unfortunately, but I'm going to try this first as it seems the most logical (I REALLY hope). If this is the case I'll be picking your brain afterwards. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I've heard that the rubber hose btw the turbo and the charge air pipe (OTE) can get brittle and bust open under high boost. It will be invisible and probably won't leak air until its under pressure. That would be my 1st looksee if I was pushing that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a boost gauge? From the sound of it, you may have had a large enough boost spike when downshifting and applying throttle to trigger the ECU into limp mode. Try doing a reset on the ECU and take the car for a drive to see if the problem persists.
Not the solution, or at least not the entire solution as it was certainly in limp mode, but still no boost and still sounds like a lawnmower, perfect idle and no codes, back to tearing it down. Also checked the couplings for the CAP OTE and they looked in good shape (might not be original as I had thought).

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have read accounts of the IPD turbo control valve going bad. Since you still have your old one, you might try putting that back in to see what happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read accounts of the IPD turbo control valve going bad. Since you still have your old one, you might try putting that back in to see what happens.
Of course now that I need my old one I can't find it! Regardless, I disconnected the turbo solenoid from the TCV and same thing, disconnected the CBV and same thing, at this point I'm either going to take it to my mechanic or make some leak down adapters and find this leak.

MEH

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly no, replaced the lines for the hell of it and still no boost (pressure tested the old lines and they all held 20psi), also took off the intake pipe and checked the propeller, which has zero play, spun freely and SMOOTHLY, I had to run errands so I didn't get to checking the waste gate, but I'll be doing that tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like my turbo has gone bad, didn't notice this before but I also have white smoke coming out the exhaust, I've checked all the vacuum lines (now running silicon), TCV, CAP fittings on both ends checked out, compression is strong ~180psi on all cyl. There apperas to be a lot of oil on the turbo side of the CAP.

Time to go turbo shopping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found out what the issue was...

I dug this out of the down pipe, lucky for me the cat wasn't damaged (it's only 10k kms old!)

·
Registered
305 Posts
ouch! you fnd a replacement?

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts