SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I am thinking of purchasing an 04 V70R 6 speed because it is the car that is making me love wagons.
I would like to know what are the main problems on this car and how reliable is it. I spoke with volvo and they said just the shocks were 700$ each (how long do they last). Im sure the engine fine cause i know volvo has been using the turbo'd I5 for a while but how is the transmission? This particular car I'm looking at the guy said there is a broken handbrake cable is there anything else that could be damaged hes not telling me (like hub damage or broken brake shoe pins).
Anything would help guys

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (flipv70r)

R does not stand for reliable; especially in a potentially quirky 04. Unless you have the full service history........don't waste your time. And even if you do, save your $$$.

As the other poster mentioned, angle gear, slave cylinder (if a MT), wheel bearings, and a few other items which have been beat to death many, many times.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Welcome to our forum!

While I have my own opinions from my experience with my own 2006 V70R, I believe I am correct when I advise you to consider a 2006 or 2007 R before any others. It is true that these cars can have many (expensive) problems; it is best if you believe that one of these cars is the best car for your needs before you buy one.

Specifically:

1 - My understanding is that the '04 and '05s would best be avoided,
2 - Motors and transmissions are not an issue (i.e., they are very reliable),
3 - Angle gears, parking brakes, and any number of other hardware items can be a significant drain on your bank account
, and
4 - Before you buy one of these, read as much as you can on this forum (Personal Note: If I'd read the threads on this forum on this site before I bought my R, I wouldn't have purchased one; no kidding, it would've scared me away. As it is, I have had no significant issues with my (very low mileage) 2006 V70R and it continues to be the most incredible combination of utility, performance, and low-profile-to-les-gendarmes car I've ever owned!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (98glt)

well after reading some info about the bevel gear i don't think this car will be good to pull anything with? (nothing heavy - snowmobile/ATV)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Quote, originally posted by flipv70r »
well after reading some info about the bevel gear i don't think this car will be good to pull anything with? (nothing heavy - snowmobile/ATV)
Towing loads weighing that much will not tax your R to the point that you need to be worried. Snowmobiles and ATVs along with their trailers will not put enough stress on an R for you to be concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (dradernh)

Quote, originally posted by dradernh »
Welcome to our forum!

While I have my own opinions from my experience with my own 2006 V70R, I believe I am correct when I advise you to consider a 2006 or 2007 R before any others. It is true that these cars can have many (expensive) problems; it is best if you believe that one of these cars is the best car for your needs before you buy one.

Specifically:

3 - Angle gears, parking brakes, and any number of other hardware items can be a significant drain on your bank account
, and
4 - Before you buy one of these, read as much as you can on this forum (Personal Note: If I'd read the threads on this forum on this site before I bought my R, I wouldn't have purchased one; no kidding, it would've scared me away. As it is, I have had no significant issues with my (very low mileage) 2006 V70R and it continues to be the most incredible combination of utility, performance, and low-profile-to-les-gendarmes car I've ever owned!)

this car has low milage for the year 60000km. im just saying at like 125000km will i have to be rebuilding the bevel gear, new suspension, alternator and starter. I had a 92 bmw 325 and it was a fairly solid car for being 17 years old. it still had original starter and alternator as well as power steering pump. Am i gonna have to change these things on this car in 5 years?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Has there been any mods or upgraded parts for this bevel gear problem?
No, but it's being worked on as we speak; the following thread details the latest on this weakest, in terms of expense, part of the R (I advise you to read it from beginning to end as it is most comprehensive): http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=113299.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

this car has low milage for the year 60000km. im just saying at like 125000km will i have to be rebuilding the bevel gear, new suspension, alternator and starter. I had a 92 bmw 325 and it was a fairly solid car for being 17 years old. it still had original starter and alternator as well as power steering pump. Am i gonna have to change these things on this car in 5 years?
Again, and from my understanding of what other members of this forum have experienced:

1 - Bevel Gear: Maybe yes, maybe no (the worst answer, I know),
2 - Suspension: Struts/Shocks; Maybe yes, maybe no (again, the worst answer, I know),
3 - Starter: No, and
4 - Alternator: No.

Read the thread on the angle (bevel) gear and you will know that there are members here who are very actively trying everything they can to solve this problem. As for the struts, when they're no longer working properly, we're faced with replacing them. Sadly, c'est la vie.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I'd add to drader's list the steering rack. While mine's been ok, I recall a number of posters indicating this as a potential weak spot, with rack requiring replacement. There have been other niggling problems others have raised (search for "side-hop", "rain squeal", Exhaust bracket, "axle ping", "shifter buzz") but these are relatively minor and not maintenance issues per se.

Speaking as an 04 owner with nearly 60K miles, I have been generally pleased with my R. My issues have included:

Axle ping (fixed at 12K under warranty)
buzzing shifter cables in 5th gear (fixed at 45K under warranty)
bad front strut (replaced at 25K miles under warranty)
angle gear failure (replaced at 55K miles on my dime
)
some front end klunking (suspect worn endlinks or spring seats..common problem with most any Volvo.I plan to replace myself soon).

However, the above pale in comparison to the feeling of driving this car, yet being able to haul all my gear (bikes, boards, kayaks, camping gear, etc). COmbined with the fact they are very rare cars (not that the average driver would notice given the subtle badging) makes them truly special http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
6,444 Posts
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (98glt)

I love it how those who own 2006 and 2007 Rs always praise their model years and bash on anything else that's older.
Quite frankly, not everyone can afford a $20K+ car, or is willing to spend that much on a depreciating asset. Also, all the "problems" you're mentioning are not really THAT bad when you think about them - a lot of them are simple maintenance and wear and tear issues. I mean common, starter and alternator??!!!! Those as VERY prone to going bad in any car, and lets not even compare it to a lower class car like honda or a simple-design oldschool 325i.

So okay, you'll go ahead and purchase a 2006 for $22K or a 2007 for $25+ and will have NO issues for two years, after which you'll have to do the regular maintenance and maybe angle gear and other stuff. Oh and lets not forget about the shocks!
Now, if you go for the 04 or similar, there is propably a higher possibility of angle gear failure due to mileage and the overall age, but if you're paying around $13K for one (as I did) then it's more worth it in the long run - seems like a more rational way to spend money. (I'm a bit biased because my car is still a CPO http://********************/smile/emthup.gif )

Heck, I bough an 04 and I'm replacing all the bushings, mounts and other stuff myself. If I notice the shocks go bad - I'll replace those too. I expect that with every used car I purchase. Problems with cars WILL happen and there's no avoiding them IMO. So I say let's stop bashing 04-05s and let us let people know about COMMON issues which will eventually happen with age/mileage.

okay...the rant is over...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (icebiker)

I've had my 04 VR for about a year now and I've had zero problems. Sure, things break and things wear out. I try not to accelerate the inevitable by not abusing the caR. That and preventive maintenance go a long way toward enhancing durability and reliability.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

1 - My understanding is that the '04 and '05s would best be avoided,)

Just '04's. '05 should be avoided only if you are looking for an Auto, and do not want to have to do torque delete to get the full monte of power.

'06 / '07 6 speed automatic transmissions are not entirely problem free....

All manual transmission cars are subject to the dreaded slave cylinder failure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: 2004 V70 R Reliability? (Needsdecaf)

stay away from an 04 or 05 GT if you want power...if acceleration doesn't bother bother you than go ahead..maybe the transmission will last longer as the torque is held back in the first two gears. The manuals accelerate like crazy and are amazing but you have to take care of the powertrain and no abuse it

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Yo...NO
I prefer 05-07 seats. The 04 bolsters are too vertical and confining for a street car and I guess most people agreed.... as they changed for 2005!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Volvo 70R

Welcome to our forum!

Specifically:

, and
This is my very first post.
Got a question on getting an 2007 Volvo v70. We are loyal Volvo people, 2006 XC90, 1997 850GLT. Our 850 is getting old and we are in the market for a new addition. With my first kid on the way, I wanted a Wagon. (Ok! I always wanted an R Wagon). Found an 07 V70R with 45K from a local seller. You guy think this will be a good day to day (baby hauler?) I am looking for reliability and safety. No interest in modding the car just want to enjoy it on road trip and daily use. My biggest concern is the AWD system. Any suggestions? What should I look for when I go test the car? Thank you guys

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.