SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 Volvo S80 T6, and I've been hearing noise in the front end, which seems to be caused my multiple things. It might actually be two different problems but I won't know until I fix one..

The most annoying one is when I take my foot off the gas pedal I hear a clunk/popping noise, not very bad sounding but not good either. When I put my foot back on the gas it (sometimes) clunks again. This doesn't happen all the time with it in Drive, however in Manual mode it happens a lot more. It's most noticed while sitting in stop and go traffic and I can feel it slightly in the gas pedal especially at slower speeds.

While in Manual mode, I can leave it in gear and when I take my foot off the gas and it will happen every time.

I really think it's driveline slop of some sort, as when I go to accelerate again it suddenly kicks in semi-harshly.

There seems to be some relation of medium braking as well, but I'm not sure if it's just a different clunk. But when braking relatively hard, like when stopping for an upcoming yellow light, right before the car comes to a complete stop you hear a clunk, I can't feel it as much and it sounds more like it comes from the front left driver side, but it's pretty loud with the windows down, it sounds more like a pop or loud click, it's hard to explain.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
could also be the notorious axle ping, get the xc90 axle bolts to rule that out :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd start with checking the engine mounts, namely the upper and lower torque mount. I'd also check the sway bar end links.
Is this something I could check on my own relatively easily? What would I be looking for as far as signs of failure?

could also be the notorious axle ping, get the xc90 axle bolts to rule that out
If it were axle ping wouldn't my axle bolts be loose? Or is the noise caused by not having the rubber around the end?

Also, I went outside yesterday and found the strut bar passenger side bolt (that holds the strut bar to a bushing I believe) was loose, and when I tightened it and test drove it, it feels better over bumps and from my short test drive it seems to no longer make noises after hard braking and coming to a stop. So I think I may have solved one problem. It still makes noises when taking my foot off the accelerator and shifting. Don't know if this helps, but it also seems to occur quite often if I'm coasting down a hill in manual mode, let's say 3rd gear, and then I shift into 4th gear without touching the accelerator and I can hear a clunk. Additionally, the car has a tendency over rough roads for the brakes to pull to one side, which has slowly been getting worse since I purchased the car about 9 months ago, not sure if it's related.

Thank guys!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
uneven brake pressure means you need to flush the fluid and bleed the brakes, possibly install new hardware as well.

about the clunk, as above, check the motor mounts, possibly suspension components (upper spring seat, lower control arm, ball joints)

axle bolts will ping during 'garage shifts' as well as at speed, ive had the problem with all my volvos and always got xc90 bolts for them, its more of a loud noise that cant really be felt though. so its likely what you are feeling is something else.

do not overtighten them, it is easy to snap them.. always use a torque wrench for axle bolts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uneven brake pressure means you need to flush the fluid and bleed the brakes, possibly install new hardware as well.

about the clunk, as above, check the motor mounts, possibly suspension components (upper spring seat, lower control arm, ball joints)

axle bolts will ping during 'garage shifts' as well as at speed, ive had the problem with all my volvos and always got xc90 bolts for them, its more of a loud noise that cant really be felt though. so its likely what you are feeling is something else.

do not overtighten them, it is easy to snap them.. always use a torque wrench for axle bolts
This uneven braking does not happen all the time, it is only over certain rough roads, particularly roads bumpy on one side of the car and smooth on the other. It does not happen a lot, but the places it does happen it will pretty much happen every time, it's not very bad I can hold it fine with one hand it's just a little annoying and definitely noticeable.

What I'm more worried about is the clunks.. And the noise does occur when shifting from Reverse to Drive, perhaps I'll order some XC90 axle bolts from IPD. I'll check out the things you mentioned, although I feel it's something in the drive line, because after taking my foot off the gas and coasting then I go to accelerate again and it kicks in semi-harshly, not a big deal as now I'm in the habit of easing in with the gas much more :p

But this is good information, I'm visiting my mechanic tomorrow to get the old power steering reservoir replaced (air getting in), so I'll go on a test drive with them and see what they think.

Also, the motor mounts were inspected 6 months ago by them and they said they looked good, not sure how long it would take for them to bad?

Thanks for the help, should have some information soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.