SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, I ordered from our good community friend George at VPTuning the 10mm spacers, as well as H&R 15mm spacers. Same ones many of you ordered for your R's and are enjoying today.

They do not fit my car! They do fit a regular S60, but not my R. There's a lip around the hub that makes the diameter of the spacer too small to slide over it. If it didn't have the lip, the spacer would be perfect. This is true of the front and the back.

Does ANYONE else have this lip problem when trying to put on spacers? I'd draw a picture but I'm horrible with mspaint ;p

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have this problem when installing the rear ones. a hammer and some punches solve the problem.
remember to take out those black screws/guide pins before putting on the spacers.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Pedestrian_A)

It's not a "close" issue where it can be solved with a rubber mallet. This is a metal ridge about 5mm wide and 1mm thick, like a rubber band wrapped around the end of the hub, only metal and it's not something that slips on and off. Going to take pictures next time I have the chance.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (vLGrok)

Sandable?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. (vLGrok)

Which ones don't fit? The 10s or the 15s?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. (mike_c70)

Both the 10mm and 15mm do not fit my S60R.

However both fit perfectly on an S60 they tried them on.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. (vLGrok)

Quote, originally posted by vLGrok »
Both the 10mm and 15mm do not fit my S60R.

However both fit perfectly on an S60 they tried them on.

I have run Powertech 15mm and Eibach 10mm on both front and rear at different times, and had no such problems. They just slide right on, there was no "lip".

Can you take a picture of what you are talking about? Almost sounds like you are you putting the spacer on backwards. The lip on the spacer faces outwards....

What month was your '04 built, mine was Jun 04. Do you have the floating neck taper bolts or fixed? I know they changed bolts at some point during MY04, I wonder if they changed hubs when they changed bolts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. ("R" Kelly)

I orignially tried the same setup as RKelly, however the 15mm Powertechs would not fit on the rear as described here. Gosh knows my dealer tried to get them on, but could not.

I ended up buying a set of Svenske 5mm for the front and put the 10mm Eibachs on the rear and could not be happier.

Maybe not all Rs are created quite equal in that regard.

-Ben

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

remove rust and check for small marks in the surface.
Also when possible try to measure the car and the spacers with a micrometer to see if they are 0:0 spacing.

If they fit a normal S60 the should fit an R.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. (Johann)

That was exactly what I was trying to convey - take sandpaper & sand the hub clean so that the spacer can be slid-on. That is what I had to do. A 5 minute procedure. Is it this being exhibited perhaps, or are you really saying that there is a structural or diameter difference???

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 2004 S60R lip around hub prevent standard spacers from being installed. (Short Circuit)

This is not simply some rust that you can wire brush away.
It is a concentric metal lip about 5mm wide and 1mm raised.
It is on all 4 hubs equally. Here is a drawing.

Perhaps Volvo used some S60 parts on the S60Rs near the end of the 2004 model year?

·
Registered
246 Posts

The profile on my '05' hubs looks just like what you sketched.

Makes for a sloppy fit of aftermarket rims that require centering rings to match the hub size (the centering rings are located inboard of the lip, instead of coincident with the lip).

Sounds to me as though the spacers don't have the proper diameter opening machined for your hub. Use a mechanical caliper to measure the o.d. of your hub, & the i.d. of the spacer. I think there should be something like 0.1mm larger opening on the spacer, to fit over the hub lip.

- Mark

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Cementups)

Quote, originally posted by Cementups »
I'm going to sk a silly uneducated question....

What exactly is the purpose of adding the spacers?

1) Allows wider tires
2) Fills wheelwell appearance gap by moving out existing wheel
3) May cut down on steering rub at full lock

That's about all I can think of.

Modified by MagoonR at 9:48 AM 3-10-2006

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (MagoonR)

Questions Volvo needs to answer:

1) Why does my 2004 S60R have this lip when nobody else's does?
2) What purpose is this lip serving on my S60R?
3) Can Volvo correct/remove this lip so that my car meets the 2004 design specs all the other 2004 S60R's meet.
4) If Volvo will not, can I remove this lip without any ill effects?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (George @ ViVA)

George, I don't know when I'll next have a wheel off, but will take a picture at that time. We both realize this is a unique situation and I'm starting to wonder why my car is unique, and looking towards Volvo to explain.

Things I'm thinking:
Did the Volvo factory run out of S60R hubs and use one with a slightly different spec on my build? If not, why does nobody else have the ridge?

Why does the 19" Evolve H5 (Axis) wheel fit, as well at the 18" TiPeg? So much doesn't make sense, yet.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (vLGrok)

Is it possible that the spacer diameter was cut incorrectly from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I don't want to rule out all explanations, but the 10mm and 15mm spacers are not manufactured by the same facility.

My parts catalog shows that there have been no chassis breaks for the wheel hub and spindle from MY04 to MY05 - they should be the same...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts