SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
All interchange. Your ECM will be fine. No difference between V and S engines. No engine differences between Auto or Manual trans engines, the torque difference is ECM programming. The parts on used motor will all work with your ECM. The studs vs bolts on turbo and the early over engine turbo outlet pipe on 04 and 05 are about it for differences.

Is your engine getting coolant into one cylinder? Miles and details please.

·
Registered
727 Posts
is your car tuned? If it is stepping down to a 2.3L t5 engine be able to produce more power because you eliminate the weak cylinder walls. Pretty sure there direct replacements as well

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it has 108, it is stock, it is leaking coolant into the cylinder 2 and 3 i beleive. and i bought it with 100 k on it, did the water pump, the t belt was done already. so instead of doing a head gasket and risking the option and money for it to end up being the block. so instead i figured i might as well swap in a new motor and then before its in do the timing belt and water pump while its out. and then be set.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
okay so i have a 2004 volvo s60r with what is beleived to be a cracked block, so im in the market for new motors. (used)
i have a few questions regarding this topic.
1. will a newer motor from say a 2006 work? if so will it work with my ecu?
2. will a motor out of a v70r work? i would think so but i am not forsure.

my main question is if a newer motor will work and if so will i need a new ecu or more?

thanks for your help guys.
1.yes
2.yes
yes

get t-5 2.4 from 07 or 08 ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i hear you guys talking about these t5 motors instead of the R motor.. is it worth it? my intentions were for downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, and ard tune eventually, but i mean if its cheaper and more reliable and also capable of holding more power then maybe a different motor is a good option?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
i hear you guys talking about these t5 motors instead of the R motor.. is it worth it? my intentions were for downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, and ard tune eventually, but i mean if its cheaper and more reliable and also capable of holding more power then maybe a different motor is a good option?
i know you can build up a t5 block to be stronger but are the internals as strong on the t5 motors stock for stock? I know the walls are thicker.
don't the R motors have a modified oil pan as well?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm not sure of wrist pin height but if the R crank n rods are used with T5 block n pistons you'd have the 2.4l late T5 engine That should be a good foundation.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The only problem you might be getting at with an 06 engine is that the transmission uses different disc/pressure plate. I have an 05 R with an 06 engine, and I had hell off a time getting the clutch to work. I have 06 engine/ 05 trans/06 Flywheel/ 06 Pressure Plate/ 05 Clutch Disc. My 05 trans stayed engaged with the 06 clutch disc, I had to use an 05 clutch disc to get it to work.

It was real pain in the a$$ to get this working. There was a part change from 04-05 onto the 06-07

Please consider this when doing your swap, perhaps its easier to consider upgrading to single mass flywheel

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i know you can build up a t5 block to be stronger but are the internals as strong on the t5 motors stock for stock? I know the walls are thicker.
don't the R motors have a modified oil pan as well?
Baffles are different in the R oil pan, and of course the the oil level sensor, which is not part of the pan, but does displace some oil volume.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts