SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car has the worst am radio reception of any car I have ever owned and I have owned way too many cars! Is it an antenna issue or the head unit? It is the HU 850, other then the horrible am radio reception the sound is amazing!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Fix: stop listening to AM. There are better uses of 13 speakers.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Or, if you're still in the dark ages, a CD.

·
Registered
876 Posts
TNN39-43-2004-04-19 Title: Grounding of Differential Electronic Module to Reduce A.M. Band Radio Interference
Owners of all wheel drive vehicles may report A.M. radio static or a crackling noise heard in areas of weak A.M. radio reception. The disturbance is especially noticeable during acceleration and can be related to the function of the Differential Electronic Module.

TNN39-49-2005-08-23 Title: AM - Radio Static on Turbo Cars, Caused by PEM. Analysis has found that the PWM (Pulse Width Communication) between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the PEM (Pump Electric Module) can induce a whining noise on the lower frequencies of the AM-band.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the ipod adaptor installed and it works great, but sometimes I like to listen to the news or talk radio. Stop the am hate!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I see references to some sort of brass strip that makes the am antenna coupling work better, but many of the threads on this issue are old and links are not good anymore. Here's a description:

Audio System - Poor AM Reception
NO: 39-35
DATE: 04/03/2003
MODEL/YEAR:
S80 MY 99 ->, S60 MY 01 ->
SUBJECT:
Poor AM Reception
CHASSIS:

REFERENCE:
Service Bulletin 39-0018 and 39-0025

DESCRIPTION:
Cases have been reported in which AM static will increase and maintain a higher level resulting in complaints of poor AM reception. The increase in AM static may be triggered by several reasons including: bumps in the road closing the doors. The AM static will stop by several reasons including:
Central Door Lock activation rear defrost activation touching the trim covering the antenna amplifier.
SERVICE:
It has been determine the increase in AM static is due to a loose connection between the antenna amplifier and antenna cable. To improve the connection (and AM reception) this Tech Net Note provides instructions to install a brass strip Part Number 30657370.

The brass strip must be bent as shown.
NOTE: It is critical not to exceed the 8 mm (5/16") length. If this length is exceeded it will result is worse reception.

Install the brass strip into the antenna amplifier as shown.
Install antenna cable so that the locking clips are not on top of the brass strip. It may help to push the locking clips to help seat properly.
NOTE: After the antenna cable has been installed pull the antenna cable to verity the locking clips are holding the antenna cable in the proper position. If the antenna cable releases easily the locking clips were not seated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
unless it's a 1,000,000 megawatt am station like KMOX in st. louis....am just doesnt work. thank god we have fm sports talk

·
Registered
796 Posts
check the antenna connection on the rear bumper. I found mine was disconnected and once connected AM reception improved.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Is that connection in the bumper under the car or in the trunk?
Passenger side, accessible from the trunk. Pull down the side cover like you're changing the tail light bulbs.

Then down and towards the bumper there is a little white connector. I had little to no AM reception before and I found that was unplugged completely. Plugged it in and I had AM reception.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Brass strip works, all others, grow up

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the brass strip from the dealer awhile ago and I couldnt figure out where it went in the car. Any pics of where the brass strip goes?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I bought the brass strip from the dealer awhile ago and I couldnt figure out where it went in the car. Any pics of where the brass strip goes?
I haven't done that fix so hopefully someone else can chime in with pics.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts