SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 S60R auto with 97k and it has developed a clunking sound in the rear when you go over small bumps or are on a bumpy road. It does have TME springs all the way around but they have been on for several months. I did recently install new lower control arms in the front and IPD poly inserts in the subframe bushings which are great but now I notice this dumb noise in the rear. Are there bushings in the rear that I should replace as well? I checked everything out when I had the car on a rack and everything looks intact but I wasnt really checking very good.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Checked the obvious first? Anything in trunk loose? Something in the spare wheel well?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a can of fix a flat doing that! Lol. Gonna take some time to take care of it one of these days.

Make sure your battery is secure too.

Sorry no real meaningful help. Maybe sway bar end links? Or maybe a loose shock?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
reference to jeopardy show,

Alex, can i have blown rear shock for $500 please? LOL, my vr is doing the same thing..new rear shocks are going to be in on Tuesday

Sent from my Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Checked the sway bar end links? Grab the shaft of the end links with a pair of pliers or channel locks and shake it really good to see if the ball joints are worn and have play.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Checked the obvious first? Anything in trunk loose? Something in the spare wheel well?
+1 somehow I lost a golf ball down in there once, drove me batty finding it

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
For me it was the rear shocks too. They were "fine" according to the dealership, but I replaced them anyway and voila, the clunk is gone. It was driving me insane.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ouch! lol

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had wondered about that. Still getting a nagging noise that goes away when it's on advanced. So far only replaced the passenger front that was leaking fluid.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
if you don't hear the clunk in "advanced" it's a shock(s) going bad.
+1

Another good test is to disable 4C (one way is to pull the plug in the trunk on an accelerometer and it'll put it into a fail safe mode) and if the sounds goes away, it's a shock.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Does your car have the body kit? An I can't remember if you had an 04 or newer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts