SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished pulling out my old collar sleeve and re-installing the two new seals. When it came time to clean up the actual angle gear, I noticed what appeared to be worn splines. The splines on the very outer edge appear normal on the angle gear. However, about 6 mm down the shaft, the splines appear to be worn down. You can actually feel this with your finger. I assume that this is not normal and was caused by my worn collar sleeve. I assume that it is time to find a used angle gear as this is not normal? ALso, how much force should be required to fit the new collar sleeve on the transmission output shaft. Should it slip on, or does it require force via a rubber mallet? Mine seem awfully hard to push on. ANy help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ran into the same problem.

The first thing I tried was welding the new sleeve on the old A/G, but I couldn't get the new sleeve to slide on the transmission without pounding it on.
The final solution was to purchase a used A/G (i found one for $299 shipped on Ebay. I had the seller send me macro photos of the splines). I pounded on a new collar sleeve to the transmission and slipped the A/G on. Problem solved.
Make sure you use a pick to clean all the epoxy out of the trans output shaft splines. There's a lot on in there, it's hardened and semi-difficult to clean off.
I was at 102,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
In addition to cleaning the transmissions spline super good running down every spline, I heated up the collar in the oven and it was easy to get on. Glück.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Technically, using the umlauted: ü, you would pronounce it as "you". So Glück would be like..."glueck" or "glook", right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition to cleaning the transmissions spline super good running down every spline, I heated up the collar in the oven and it was easy to get on. Glück.
What temperature did you heat it to? I already have the new seals in and don't want to damage them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Also do the seals have a seat that the back rest again? I just want to make sure they don't leak. They appear to be flush around the diameter of the seal.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yes, seals are designed to push up against the back of their bore, so push till they won't go in any further and you are good to go.

They usually sit a little recessed in the bore, past the tapered section, so it sounds like you're might have a little further to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes, seals are designed to push up against the back of their bore, so push till they won't go in any further and you are good to go.

They usually sit a little recessed in the bore, past the tapered section, so it sounds like you're might have a little further to go.
One more question concerning the installation of the new collar sleeve. It has been very hard to get it back on the transmission output shaft. I have the snap ring set in the back of the groove closest to the transmission output shaft. With this being said, the ring is approximately 1/16 of an inch from the snap ring. Do the splines need to be flush on the transmission side where the splines stop on the collar sleeve? I cant get it to move anymore on the shaft and I am afraid to keep pounding on it due to the possibility that it is seated. Any help on this would be great. The car is a 2004 S60R M66 transmission.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
There is an o-ring that seals the collar to the pinion carrier to prevent lube leaking out that way. If you go to push it in there by hand you will find that is the last little resistance to pushing it all the way to the snap ring. I hope you weren't pounding on it too hard, it may not go on easy by hand but you shouldn't having to sledge on it either. When you mate up the AG, it will push it as far as it needs to go so don't be too mean to it. Did you try cleaning up the splines or lubing them before putting it all together again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I pretty much had to pound on. It only lacks 1/16 of an inc being flush with the transmission splines. I'm thinking it will be ok where it rests. I cleaned all of the splines super good removing all epoxy. I used a large wooden down with a deadblow hammer to push it on. My only concern at this point is the green o ring not sealing after assembly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got everything back together. I have driven the car approximately 20 miles with no leaks or funny noises. AWD makes a difference. No more torque steer. Now I ready for the first snow to test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts