SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off with the disclaimer that this is the most frustrating work I have performed on a car. I have been trying to remove the collar sleeve on my wife's 2004 S60R with absolutely no luck for the past two weeks. I have tried a puller, map gas , impact ratchet on the puller, along with a breaker bar on the puller. It will not budge. At this point, I am wondering if I should just remove the transmission to proceed with other means of removing it. However, I really want to avoid this if possible. One question I do have is, how long should I apply map gas to the outside of the collar. The longest I have held the gas to the collar is less than one minute. Is this long enough? Also, should I hammer then apply gas while the collar is under the puller load? Any help would be great as I am running out of creative adjectives to yell out loud!!! :mad:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most people grind the collar sleeve, like this;

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Look up the specs for loctite 660 I think it is, I believe you actually need to burn it at over 300 degrees which is going to require more than just a minute poke, that will be smoking hot. If you don't own an IR thermometer, this is the perfect time to get one to do this right.

Then you will still need a puller. It takes you girding some serious grooves in the collar and using hose clamps or other serious restraints on a puller and lots of force still once the epoxy is removed.

Then good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IR thermometer, take the temp away from the heating spot. Get it to 340 or so. I haven't done this yet. It will probably take 20 mins to heat it that hot

·
Registered
547 Posts
get your MAPP gas and puller ready! grind notches, MAPP gas that bad boy, and pull away

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
This is why my special experiment glues this puppy on the AG. Strenthens the weak link, helps with alignment and if you have to take it apart later you can just disassemble the AG and press it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2004 S60R Collar Sleeve Removal

Most people grind the collar sleeve, like this;

That is the same exact setup I am using. My wife is going to Lowes to pick up an IR thermometer. I currently have the puller under a load and am taking a break until she gets back. I am hoping that applying heat with the puller under a load will cause it to "give way". I have rotated the collar while using an air chisel all morning. It almost appears to have moved .05 mm, but that could be wishful thinking. The inner splines on the collar appear to be slightly forward of the output shaft splines. One more question, what is the best method in concern to application of the map gas heat? After application of the heat, I assume that I should immediately begin to tighten the puller? ALso, where should I aim the thermometer? Just forward of the large outside seal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2004 S60R Collar Sleeve Removal

This is why my special experiment glues this puppy on the AG. Strenthens the weak link, helps with alignment and if you have to take it apart later you can just disassemble the AG and press it out.
And its out.:p:p:p:p:p:p What a relief. Thanks for everyone's help. The MAP heat did the trick to about 350F.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2004 S60R Angle Gear Stripped Splines

That loctite 660 they use is such strong stuff I hope it works as good on the smaller spline set that really needs it, lol.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...haul-Project&p=2567407&viewfull=1#post2567407

I think I am screwed in the Angle Gear Department now. While cleaning the splines on the angle gear input shaft, I noticed flat spots. Only the first 6 mm of the splines look ok. After this, the splines look flat. Will a 04-07 S60R/V70R M66 angle gear fit my 04 S60R with M66 Transmission? This sucks. I was so excited when the collar sleeve came out and now this.:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
need a better pic of both the collar and splines. Some wear you can get away with, but if its too worn you will be shopping for a new AG. Mine were only about a third of the way worn, which is why I'm trying the combo of the heavy duty AG collar and the loctite on that side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts