SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beautiful 2004 S60R, the ultra-safe sleeper sedan with AWD, 300hp from a 2.5L 5 cylinder turbocharged engine and a 6 speed manual transmission. Because it's a 5cylinder, it still gets ~23-24mpg city and 27-28mpg highway! This car is a super rare/hard to find color combo of passion red exterior and atacama leather interior that looks amazing. This car has 92,671 miles on it which may change slightly as my father takes it to the store occasionally. The car has 18" pegs, xenon headlamps, pop-up navigation, heated seats, HU-803(?) sound system, and about every other option. The car is very quick, clutch is very strong, suspension feels great (and has 3 different settings depending on your driving style/needs). Never tracked or raced, bone stock, my family is the 2nd owner after it was traded in at the end of its lease. She has a clear title, and I have replaced just about all of the prone items on this car and as such, it is pretty much a brand new vehicle. I have it listed at $10,000 firm, which is not the cheapest R on the market, but many of these have been driven hard and put up wet while this one is pristine. Here is why the car is worth a bit extra:

-at 87k the timing belt snapped (I was going off miles for changing it, not years): the top end of the engine was rebuilt; intake valves and seats as needed, all guides and cam bearings were replaced. Basically it has a new engine! This was all done by Motorwerks, a European import shop with a great reputation that specializes in Volvos. The rebuild cost about $4,500, have all records of this. Moral: change TB every 75k, not Volvo's 105k interval
-At the same time, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat were all replaced
-new Suspension module @ 91k
-new Differential electronic Module @ 92k (prone from heat from the exhaust-new one has heat shield and lifetime warranty)
-New front brakes at 78k-Volvo OEM
-Windshield in Sept 2011 (rock on the highway chipped the old one)
-Oil changes every 5000 miles with Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5w-20

Story of the car: I inherited this car from my sister when my S4 snapped its timing belt and she wanted to get into something smaller. Unfortunately for me, I've been away at medical school the entire time I've owned the car, so I've only been able to put about 2000 miles on her. As my school debt rises and since I found out I will be going to NYC for rotations, I've realized it makes no sense for me to own a car, especially one this nice. So, as much as I hate to part with her, she's up for sale. I have all the paperwork for the service that's been done.

In all honesty and foreclosure, I went out and poked around the car and tried to think of anything wrong:
-naturally some small dings (it is an 8 year old vehicle, although you can't tell)
-front floormats are not perfectly clean (a professional may be able to get them looking new)
-occasionally a few drips of brake fluid, hasn't affected the level so haven't looked into it
-The front seats show a bit of wear. A few stitches have come out on the lateral bolster on the side of the driver seat, but nothing is torn. I only noticed it because I'm anal about putting leather conditioner on the seats as often as possible. Probably get it restitched easily
-Small scratch by the left rear taillight

Someone make my baby a good new home! Email at [email protected] or PM is best, but you can text three-three-six-four-eight-zero-five-two-six-nine. Please no lowballers or tire kickers. Serious offers only. $10,000 firm. I think this is a more than fair price considering it is basically a new car in many ways. Let me know if I'm wrong!

Car is located in Winston-Salem, NC and will not be accumulating much mileage as it is driven to the grocery store maybe once every week or two.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Maybe I missed it...mileage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I see you found it. Sorry, had it buried in there. Probably a bit wordy in the post, just wanted to give as full a description as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I couldn't see the pics at work (haters :D)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
very tempting if I had room

·
Registered
11 Posts
The timing belt in my TL-S snapped the day after Thanksgiving. I've been looking at S4 and new TL SH-AWD but your S60R is tempting. Would like to run the VIN if you are willing to send it by PM or phone. I'm local (Burlington) and plan to purchase something soon. $200/wk for the privilege of driving a Toyota Corolla is quite a drag. Depending on price; cash (cashier check) will be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Checking this one out today. It's probably not fair to compare it to a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD but I suspect it will make a strong value proposition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can tell you that you will not think it's an 8 year old car! and for nearly a third of the price, i'd like to think so :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Checking this one out today. It's probably not fair to compare it to a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD but I suspect it will make a strong value proposition.
It is MUCH better than an Acura... Sportier, more luxurious, safer, longer lasting, the list goes on. I'd take a 200k mile Volvo over a brand new Acura all day as long as it's been cared for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is MUCH better than an Acura... Sportier, more luxurious, safer, longer lasting, the list goes on. I'd take a 200k mile Volvo over a brand new Acura all day as long as it's been cared for.
Let's not get crazy! I actually found a R/T comparison test from 2005 pitting the 04 TL A-Spec vs 04 60R. The nose heavy FWD car won easily. Consumer Reports 2004 top upscale sedan was the TL.

I took the S60R for a spin today. The design (interior/exterior) is dated but I still like it. I'm more a metallic paint kinda guy but the red is good. The black trim has aged as expected. IMO, it's one of the worst design flaws in automotive history to put crappy trim on cars that fades much faster than the paint. I believe Volvo switched to body color in 2005.

My last turbo was an 02WRX modified to 400hp. The S60R doesn't have that kind of juice but the go pedal definitely works when you get past the modest lag. The engine/exhaust combo is interesting. The car sounds angry. Unfortunately, it's not V6/V8 rumble. Not even the low roil of a flat4. It's not bad, it's just different coming from my TLS (Comptech intake, headers, exhaust). The steering effort is heavy . . . I like.

I drove Sport which feels a little rough. I probably wouldn't want it on crappy roads but on decent blacktop I think it's good. The comfort mode would have probably made a difference. Tires/wheels are in good shape. There's a spare under the trunk. Trunk itself was clean but compartment with spare . . . not so much.

Given the age and where it came from (NY then IL), it looks pretty good inside and out. The wear/tear is exactly as Brian described it. Front seats are obvious but the rear is in excellent condition for the age. It's hard to see out the rear but the magic headrest button works. Seats have good support. Only two latch positions in the back and they are designed for outboard so no putting the bundle in the middle.

All the switch gear works. I didn't try the CD changer (4 disc) but radio/speakers are good. Nav is uh . . . interesting. It is cool to have Nav in your line of sight and I bet it was cool in 2004. It works (and has a remote in addition to the toggle control behind the steering wheel) but it's not really an asset unless you don't trust your phone. Fans, heat, A/C work.

Side mirror motors work. The window motors are very good except passenger rear. It works but it's definitely grumpy.

I'm probably down to this car versus a 12 TL SH-AWD Advance.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't consider that getting crazy. I'm very firm in my opinion (note it is still just an opinion of course we all have different ones) that Volvos are the absolute best all around car. The ultimate combo of safe, sporty, luxury, looks, quality, easy to DIY repair, cheap to buy used. As for acuras I don't like them at all, they are too expensive to buy used because they are overrated (like the articles you read where they won which I disagree with), they aren't as safe, they differ from "European luxury" aka a cheaper version of luxury without that solid tank like feel of a Volvo or Benz.

I really hope you buy the Volvo and never look back, IMO it's a perfect DD car.

As for the 5 cylinder exhaust note, you should hear one with a catless turbo back exhaust, it really comes alive and is definitely a more dynamic sounding engine than a 4 banger or V6, not quite as awesome as V8s with performance pipes though (C63 is soooo sexy).

·
Registered
11 Posts
The wife hates the exterior color, styling, Atacama and that it's a manual. So naturally I made Brian an offer. The value proposition won over a 2012 S60 R-Design, 2010-11 Acura TL SH-AWD, 2010 Audi S4 and a 2006 S60R auto. Oh the Subaru BRZ was on the list but I'm at the top of a waitlist for delivery in February. Unless Brian gets a better offer this will be my first (sorta) AWD drive since my 02WRX. I doubt it will be as much fun but I'm getting too old for hoonage anyways.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
-occasionally a few drips of brake fluid, hasn't affected the level so haven't looked into it
Were you able to determine where the brake fluid was dripping from?

For the buyer's sake, I hope it wasn't from the transmission housing. Failed slave cylinder = brake fluid leakage onto clutch and flywheel = $$$

1 - 20 of 20 Posts