SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to install my new parking brake assembly today, I didn’t realize the mounts for the springs are gone, and the raised area on the right side is corroded or damaged to the point that it’s level with the dust shield. No idea how the damage was caused, previous owners fix was to remove everything.

I’m not sure what pieces I need to replace so that I can replace the parking brake stuff. Just a dust shield? Do I need a new rear knuckle?
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Auto part

·
Registered
82 Posts
Road salt and rust will cause the e-brake pad to become unbonded from the metal e-brake shoe.
Under the correct circumstances, at speed, the loose e-shoe pad will shift and get stuck between the metal that it was bonded to, the inside of the rotor contact area and
something has to give. The cast iron boss that the e-shoes set on breaks off as you see in the picture.
Any time that you have the rear rotors off, lift up on the e-shoe pad edges.
If the is any give at all. replace the e-shoes.
Use only Volvo or ATE e-brake shoes.
Most non-Volvo or ATE shoes are just enough too thick that you will fight to install the rotor back in place.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
No knuckle unless you want to wrestle with it! There's a kit now. REALLY wish I'd have known this before replacing my rear knuckle.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Oh wow, that's nice. Now that you mention it, I think I saw that in another thread before but forgot about it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Oh wow, that's nice. Now that you mention it, I think I saw that in another thread before but forgot about it.
RIGHT?! I found out about it after already wrestling a used knuckle onto my V70…..live and learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No knuckle unless you want to wrestle with it! There's a kit now. REALLY wish I'd have known this before replacing my rear knuckle.

Thanks! Glad to hear this hasn’t only happened to me.I’m not really seeing too much written about how to replace the knuckle, since I have to remove the wheel hub anyway to replace the dust shield, is the knuckle much more difficult to replace?

Also, with this mount replacement part you linked, do you think it’s strong enough compared to the original? I’m not sure how much pressure is being applied to this thing so maybe it isn’t a big concern.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Thanks,

Thanks! Glad to hear this hasn’t only happened to me.I’m not really seeing too much written about how to replace the knuckle, since I have to remove the wheel hub anyway to replace the dust shield, is the knuckle much more difficult to replace?

Also, with this mount replacement part you linked, do you think it’s strong enough compared to the original? I’m not sure how much pressure is being applied to this thing so maybe it isn’t a big concern.
Taking off knuckle is a HUGE pain, have to disconnect the entire suspension everything. Ask @Tech lol.

No need to take even the wheel hub off for this fix, no need to replace anything unless your dust shield got hella damaged. It just screws right on there with the two adjacent bolts. Not sure if the ones provided with the kit are longer, I would imagine they are slightly to account for the extra material. Much more than strong enough, all it does is provide a place for the parking brake shoe extenders to rest. Would recommend the kit that has parking brake shoes + springs, plus this fix kit. The friction material delaminates and does a great Sonic the hedgehog impression beneath yr rotor, breaks that thing you're missing sometimes and makes a GODAWFUL noise. (exactly what happened on my V)

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
The knuckle isn't that bad, but I do this for a living. I can see how someone not as familiar with the repair may have a tough time. Doing it on a lift also helps.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The knuckle isn't that bad, but I do this for a living. I can see how someone not as familiar with the repair may have a tough time. Doing it on a lift also helps.
Yeah ok fair if you're doing it all the time I could see that. I also tried to do it with the control arm still on hahaha, just hung off it with a ratchet strap while my indie buddy ugga dugga'd. In retrospect, not super smart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Taking off knuckle is a HUGE pain, have to disconnect the entire suspension everything. Ask @Tech lol.

No need to take even the wheel hub off for this fix, no need to replace anything unless your dust shield got hella damaged. It just screws right on there with the two adjacent bolts. Not sure if the ones provided with the kit are longer, I would imagine they are slightly to account for the extra material. Much more than strong enough, all it does is provide a place for the parking brake shoe extenders to rest. Would recommend the kit that has parking brake shoes + springs, plus this fix kit. The friction material delaminates and does a great Sonic the hedgehog impression beneath yr rotor, breaks that thing you're missing sometimes and makes a GODAWFUL noise. (exactly what happened on my V)

Yep, my dust shield is damaged to the point that the mounts for the parking brake springs are also gone, so I guess I really have my work cut out for me!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yep, my dust shield is damaged to the point that the mounts for the parking brake springs are also gone, so I guess I really have my work cut out for me!
Eh, dust shield isn't that bad compared to the knuckle. If memory serves, you will have to remove the hub to replace the dust shield though.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the bolts going into the knuckle get replaced when you remove them or are they reusable? I haven’t found much written online about replacing the knuckle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts