SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine light on dealer can't find problem, car will not start at times and now quits while running. Car will restart after sitting for awhile.<br>Dealer has not been able to find any problems or solutions to the above. Would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Re: 2004 s60 engine light on (jim1940)

Maybe some dirty fuel or a clogged fuel filter from dirty fuel. Could also be your coil packs but I would think they would have found those to be faulty if they really were. Maybe there is something wrong in the ECU. Good luck

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 2004 s60 engine light on (chillidawg)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Jim.<p>Just down the road from you sits ipd...<p><A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/ipds-RalliTEK-Service-Facility/blog-38" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/ipds-Ral...og-38</A><p>...give them a call as they have a full-service Volvo facility along with their Volvo aftermarket and OE parts sales.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you description to us is anything like the on you gave to your dealer, im not suprosed that they cant find something.<p>The codes for the CEL would be extremely helpful. a description of what the engine does when it wont start (ie:cranks, but wont start, no crank at all, etc) and also what it does when it dies would be great. <p>You say your problem happens "at times" so how intermittent is it? If they cant duplicate it, they wont be able to fix it. Just some things for you to keep in mind.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: (Turb04S60)

I had similar problems at one point. This *can* be a computer problem. The ECU (engine control unit) can be dead, or it can also be the BCM or BCU (brake control module/unit), or possibly another unit which the ECU "tests" before it lets the car run properly.<p>It can also be the car's computer network itself failing. The network is just a bunch of connections between these various computer modules, but if the modules fail to communicate with each other properly they sometimes just give up and switch the car off. I had to have all the modules on my car unplugged and have the pins "cleaned", as the dealer claimed that corrosion buildup on the pins was causing network interference. Not sure about this, but the problem hasn't re-occurred since.<p>I also got an engine warning light because the thermostat was sticking. That was a relatively straightforward thermostat replacement, although again the software had a few hiccups before it got sorted out and accepted everything.<p>To some extent, cars today are over-computerized. It makes sorting out the difference between a mechanical and a computer fault more difficult. The dealer should be examining all these scenarios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts