SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a question, I have a 2004 (before facelift) s40 that didn't come with fog lights. I put OEM lights in and the car has a switch for them, I press the switch and the light in the dash comes on saying they are on but the plugs aren't getting power and they never come on

I have tried almost everything and heard almost every problem, the last thing is a CEM that has a fog light setting... would that work or is there anything else?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I have a question, I have a 2004 (before facelift) s40 that didn't come with fog lights. I put OEM lights in and the car has a switch for them, I press the switch and the light in the dash comes on saying they are on but the plugs aren't getting power and they never come on

I have tried almost everything and heard almost every problem, the last thing is a CEM that has a fog light setting... would that work or is there anything else?
Just to confirm, you have both the rear and front fog switches and we aren't confusing the rear fog for the front? Usually you need to activate the fogs with vida/dice but since you are saying you already have the front switch, I would expect it to have come already configured. (I think it's a green light on the dash for the front fog and an orange for the rear)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only has one switch, I looked at a diagram and it said that the switch it has is for the front ones, but it may be the case that it is the rear ones, although I don't recall those turning on either when I press it. When I press it there is an orange light... I will check back if I notice anything, thank you.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Left switch is for front fog lights and has a green light. Right switch is for rear fog light and is orange. If you do not have a left switch then you'll need to get one, and it's also likely that your car you will need the fog light software download.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok I see, yeah it has the right switch with an orange light, but it is the 2003 model which looks different, do you think that year would need this software update too?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah sorry, I wasn't paying attention that you have a nedcar S40 and I'm not familiar with them at all, or if you need software. I know on the older P80 car like my 850 and V70 I needed to add a fog light relay under the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, your tips still help, I'll be checking some things involving rewiring and or relays and getting the switch for the front ones, I will check back if I find out anything, Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The S40/V40 should come pre-wired for the hookups, but unless you have the button, it's probably not enabled by factory. You can shave the blank button down so it presses in (make it look like the button on the right), rather than getting a switch or button that has it printed but you will need it activated with vida/dice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually just did the button shaving and now it clicks, I still don't hear a relay click when I press it, (would it be under the dash or in the engine bay?) I have no understanding on that software so any way I could get directions on how to get it and use it? Unless it's really simple to use... do you just plug it into the OBD port?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need the software and the hardware which plugs into the obd port. Most people buy knockoff hardware on ebay and then download a vm (there are a few flavors of it bouncing around) to load up the software.

Where are you located? Lots of folks have them and can probably get you some help to activate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts