SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The needles and ticker marks around the gauges are no longer lighting up when I turn the car on. The front white spot LEDs still work and the gauges themselves function fine, just no backlighting. Anyone shed some light on this issue? All other instrument lights are working just fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang, no one? Anyone know if I can bypass the circuit board and wire them directly to the front spot ones? I'm guessing there must be a short on the pcb board somewhere causing them not to light.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am having the same problem with the backlight to my fuel gauge. All my overhead lights are working fine. I just took the whole thing apart and cannot find any way to access the backlights for the gauges. I know someone here must have experience replacing these bulbs...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I don't know if it ever brightens back up after a bit but there is an update in vida for the dim lighting on the gauges.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have you guys ever replaced your CEM?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well, for one...they all go bad at some point and when they do, all kinds of strange electrical and performance issues start popping up. Gauges acting funny was an issue for me. I wouldn't be surprised if you may have other issues that are being caused by a faulty CEM without you even knowing because the symptoms can be really subtle: brakes not being having the proper feel, SUM not operating correctly, lights appear dim...pretty much any module that communicates with the CEM (most of our caRs functions) can be affected in some way. Basically, ish gets weird until it completely fails and your caR goes into limp mode and your electrics become possessed. A bad battery can also make our caRs exhibit strange electrical behavior too...but I figure you already checked that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The "Dim" in the dash cluster is a somewhat common failure in p2 platform cars - dash cluster rebuild is only about 170.00 at European electric.net in tennasee usa - they do a total resolder on the unit - you ship the whole unit super fast - they do a lot of these for Volvo's
Of course this is just my guess as my 02 v70 and a friends04 s80 , I have done - vibration causes solder contacts to crack in the units - makes all different kinds of wacky stuff happen
I think they will also replace all the bulbs also for a price I am sure

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
All CEMs don't eventually go bad, though some do. Unfortunately its placement near the drivers footwell makes it prone to damage from moisture, but assuming that doesn't get you their failure rate appears to be low.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The "Dim" in the dash cluster is a somewhat common failure in p2 platform cars - dash cluster rebuild is only about 155.00 at European electric.net in tennasee usa - they do a total resolder on the unit - you ship the whole unit super fast - they do a lot of these for Volvo's
Of course this is just my guess as my 02 v70 and a friends04 s80 , I have done - vibration causes solder contacts to crack in the units - makes all different kinds of wacky stuff happen -including light bulb failures
I think they will also replace all the bulbs

·
Registered
911 Posts
All CEMs don't eventually go bad, though some do. Unfortunately its placement near the drivers footwell makes it prone to damage from moisture, but assuming that doesn't get you their failure rate appears to be low.
Sounds like you're confusing the CEM with the SUM. The SUM is located low and near the driver's feet to the right and can be prone to moisture damage. They are otherwise reliable.

The CEM is located above the driver's foot well; behind and beneath the steering column. The CEM's is the '04 R's were prone to overheat and malfunction. This is common.

·
Registered
227 Posts
the clusters in early p2 cars had bulbs that you could replace. the r cluster are all led mounted to the board its self, sooooo if one light is out your sol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the clusters in early p2 cars had bulbs that you could replace. the r cluster are all led mounted to the board its self, sooooo if one light is out your sol.
Also, the connectors to the 04s and the 07s are different, so you can't swap out just any R cluster if a bulb fails. I'm not sure when Volvo changed this small component but I would guess in 05 when they did the major electrical overhaul to the S60.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts