SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 R has had sun faded door and other plastic moldings since I bought it. Really a sad look for an otherwise beautiful looking ride. I picked up something from the detail store a while back and finally applied it this weekend - it's called SP80. They call it a "vinyl conditioner" and it made the whitish plastic turn black again. Looks great! I'll post some pictures later.

We'll see how long it lasts and if it'll come off next time I wash it. Anyway, thought I'd pass the word along for 2004 R owners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
UV damage is done. You can dress it or hide it but its still there. Best way to preserve your car is to park it in the garage or out of direct sunlight. Tires, interior and paint will last longer as well.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote, originally posted by BVM »
UV damage is done. You can dress it or hide it but its still there. Best way to preserve your car is to park it in the garage or out of direct sunlight. Tires, interior and paint will last longer as well.

Damage is done but it is ALWAYS repairable.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S6...-1075/

·
Registered
224 Posts
i usually use...flame suit on... tire shine

·
Registered
359 Posts
We use a product by Wurth its a bumper paint for bumpers and plastic moldings we sprayed it on an 850 rear bumper one year ago and it sits in teh elements everyday its a doner car and its still black as can be so we started using on cars we fix up and sell its what i will be using on the R here soon

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Send a message to Forced5 on the forums here, ask about his Pintura trim dye...it's fantastic!

My trim was quite faded, like yours I'm assuming. I put the dye on my car 6 months ago and the picture is barely 2 weeks old, and here's how well it's held up. The best bit is where it catches the sun near the trunk lid, it's actually that slight bit of gloss that makes it look fantastic:

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: 2004 Faded Moldings - a fix but will it last? (henko)

I used Forever Black.....which is a dye. Tire dressing, Armor All, etc will not do much.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: 2004 Faded Moldings - a fix but will it last? (MagoonR)

I have used Forever black and the Griot's bumper and trim re-conditioner. IMO they are virtually the same.

You need something with a dye to last more than a couple of weeks. The bumper paint is really the way to go but being paint it's more time consuming to apply. Of course there is the thought that you're only doing it once...

Dressings just don't cut it, no matter how good they work on other areas.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Forever black didn't do much for mine. My car was subjected to the harsh S. Florida sun for 4 years and the trim was compromised.

I picked up some duplicolor bumper paint and will be applying soon. The front and rear trim pieces come off easily. The side trim is a bit more difficult to remove so I am considering painting it on the car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re:

I use Showroom New
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi...94731
It worked great on both my 04 R's. My wifes SR was faded pretty badly on the rear bumper trim, and Trish (1800girl) recommended this to me. It was great, and comes in a dark grey to match the trim as it was originally. Oh, and $10.95 is hard to beat, I redyed both my R's, upper moldings (lower still looked new) and various items on my father-in-laws T-5 R. The great thing about Showroom new, is it matches so well, I only had to dye the moldings that needed it.

Adam

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 2004 Faded Moldings - a fix but will it last? (henko)

The ONLY way to get it right is to paint them with bumper paint.
If you decide to do this, you MUST get all that silicone off or it won't stick well

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: (xman03)

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
Forever black worked wonders for my car.
I agree. I put it on yesterday, coincidentally. The trim was wasted (So Cal sun), and it looks better than new.

Time will tell if it lasts. The standard conditioners are very temporary and only last a few weeks. In addition, the Forever Black made the trim much blacker than the Armor All-type stuff.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (mgotts)

Quote, originally posted by mgotts »

I agree. I put it on yesterday, coincidentally. The trim was wasted (So Cal sun), and it looks better than new.

Time will tell if it lasts. The standard conditioners are very temporary and only last a few weeks. In addition, the Forever Black made the trim much blacker than the Armor All-type stuff.

In my experience it will look good for 2 months and then decent for another 2.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: (m3nt0s)

"Send a message to Forced5 on the forums here, ask about his Pintura trim dye...it's fantastic!

My trim was quite faded, like yours I'm assuming. I put the dye on my car 6 months ago and the picture is barely 2 weeks old, and here's how well it's held up. The best bit is where it catches the sun near the trunk lid, it's actually that slight bit of gloss that makes it look fantastic."

Here it is on my car treated vs. not.

If you want to try the Pintura Trim Dye, it's $8 for the 4oz, S&H included. Just e-mail me at [email protected] with your "send to" address, and I'll get it out to you. It covers faded trim, molding parting lines and waxed-over parts. If you don't like it, I'll buy it back less S&H. Thanks.

Modified by Forced5 at 6:09 PM 5-4-2009

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: (Forced5)

Quote, originally posted by Forced5 »
"Send a message to Forced5 on the forums here, ask about his Pintura trim dye...it's fantastic!

My trim was quite faded, like yours I'm assuming. I put the dye on my car 6 months ago and the picture is barely 2 weeks old, and here's how well it's held up. The best bit is where it catches the sun near the trunk lid, it's actually that slight bit of gloss that makes it look fantastic."

Here it is on my car treated vs. not.

If you want to try the Pintura Trim Dye, it's $8 for the 4oz, S&H included. Just e-mail me at [email protected] with your "send to" address, and I'll get it out to you. It covers faded trim, molding parting lines and waxed-over parts. If you don't like it, I'll buy it back less S&H. Thanks.

Modified by Forced5 at 6:09 PM 5-4-2009

whats the process for applying this? what kind of prep work do you need? can they be done on the car with painters tape??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: (2004volvos60R)

Quote, originally posted by 2004volvos60R »
whats the process for applying this? what kind of prep work do you need? can they be done on the car with painters tape??

It goes on by just using a lint-free cloth. I find this works a lot better than the otherwise not-so-great applicators that come with other products and that get crusty with use. Prep work is next to nothing. I actually use Simple Green or similar, let dry, and on goes the dye. No problem using painters tape, either. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.