SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know this is like my 3rd post asking for help but I'm going to make this post and keep askin questions if I get any in the future.

My name is Matt, I'm from Boston Massachusetts and I'm new here:) I'm 20 and buying my 2nd Volvo in 2 weeks. The S40 I'm looking at is $8000, is the turbo, is silver and black interior with 99,000 miles. I feel like that's a great deal for a turbo, no?
I currently have 1998 S70, last December my third engine valve bent. I had no oil in my car at the time. Wasn't my fault because I then realized The computer in the car had glitches and never showed a oil light :/

So when I buy this car, im going to want to do a lot of things to it exterior wise first. Only because I have NO idea on how to make this car go faster haha. I'll ask for help on thr later I guess. But I'm looking to:

Paint it black at Maacos for $400
Tint them 35%
Rims eventually
Maybe a spoiler before painting it
Install Halo LEDs, I have no idea on where to start on that
And get eyebrows for the headlights

Now my first question is, how could I get my headlights to look like these for the cheap as possible?
http://666kb.com/i/bsjzso7w31jsf9a2x.jpg

Could I just ask Maaco to paint it for me like that or will it not look good?

THANKS a lot guys. VOLVO FOR LIFE

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$400 for a full spray, can't see that going good. Just get an OEM spoiler thats already painted
Maaco has a big discount over the winter because people don't really get paint jobs in the winter. Weird because it's best to get it painter in the beginning of winter

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Now my first question is, how could I get my headlights to look like these for the cheap as possible?
If you are looking at the eyebrows that's done with vinyl, two layers (black and red).
The good vinyl is paint looking quality and applies very well and last long but can be expensive and is hard to purchase in small quantity.
For this however you can go with less expensive vinyl which will do the work well.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
My eyebrows are just vinyl as well. Paint will not stick to the plastic surface of the headlight lenses.

I wouldn't recommend painting it until the body really needs it. Just enjoy it as it is for the time being.

You'll need to replace the timing belt before 120k miles, so be prepared for a few $$$ more to be spent into the car.

There are multiple halo threads in the stickies, as well as some good ones that may not have made it in the stickies yet.

My best advice is to take a few hours and scroll through the "What did you do to your car today?" and the "What does your car look like right now?" threads. Nearly all of the mods on the forums have been shown off in those threads. See something you like, PM the poster and they may be able to help further.

School is crazy for me right now, but shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want links to specific threads (such as the halos). I have them saved somewhere, in a few weeks I can try to dig them up for you.

Officially, welcome to SwedeSpeed Matt!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My eyebrows are just vinyl as well. Paint will not stick to the plastic surface of the headlight lenses.

I wouldn't recommend painting it until the body really needs it. Just enjoy it as it is for the time being.

You'll need to replace the timing belt before 120k miles, so be prepared for a few $$$ more to be spent into the car.

There are multiple halo threads in the stickies, as well as some good ones that may not have made it in the stickies yet.

My best advice is to take a few hours and scroll through the "What did you do to your car today?" and the "What does your car look like right now?" threads. Nearly all of the mods on the forums have been shown off in those threads. See something you like, PM the poster and they may be able to help further.

School is crazy for me right now, but shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want links to specific threads (such as the halos). I have them saved somewhere, in a few weeks I can try to dig them up for you.

Officially, welcome to SwedeSpeed Matt!
Thanks a lot man! Hopefully I do not have any problems before paying for a new timing belt lol. But yeh, I'm going to make sure I add the mods slow and just enjoy the car as it is.

Do you know anywhere I can get a Vinyl like that? They make the headlights so nice. Is it expensive? Like over $100. I'm guessing its not but ya never know haha.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
The black vinyl I used was $20 for a 20'x1' roll off Amazon. I believe it was LG brand, pretty decent and has held up well for a few months now. It's cheap, so it's thin and slightly transparent up close when the lights are on, but you'd probably never notice if I hadn't said anything about it.

Just make sure you're getting something that is adhesive backed (not a vinyl material), and your choice between flat colors, glossy colors, ect. If you want to layer the vinyl, silver on top with black on the bottom, then you may run into a bit of a challenge finding the perfect matching silver. Though I believe someone has already done that... It's just a matter of finding the old thread... Sorry, I'm no help, I just keep telling you to find old threads :p

If this is your first time working with vinyl, make sure you order enough for all your mess ups! But not too much, because if you have a lot of extra, you may start trying to wrap everything: mirrors, roof, waterfall panel, grille, mailbox, cat...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone link me a site like amazon or ebay that sell this kind of vinyl in black? I'm talking about quality, notice the black line is still shown on the top of headlight.

I'm talking about quality, notice the black line is still shown on the top of headlight.
http://oi48.tinypic.com/34gxda8.jpg

Also, I'm buying this car tomorrow!

2004 Volvo S40 T5
$7,000
99,630 miles.

I know a Volvo mechanic, he said he's seen a lot of timing belts go around 105,000 miles. So i'm going to pay him $550 to replace it, good deal?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
$550 for the t-belt job sounds fair, for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts