SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's S40 started having funny steering response. Car has 85,000 miles. Didn't want to turn off center. You really had to pull on the wheel like overcoming some resistance. And then when it did turn if wanted to go too far in response to the tugging on the wheel. Was getting progressively worse and really bad in cold weather, so off to the local independent Volvo specialty shop. Only thing I noticed was that the fluid was jet black, no external leaks from the rack or hoses. I searched the forums and didn't find any similar thread.
Just got the car back after 9 days in the shop and just over 1 grand in cost. They had to install a new p/s pump/module, updated wiring harness, new software update and flush the system repeatedly until it was clean. This was a first for the shop, but apparently the p/s pump was grinding itself to death. I picked the car up last night after hours and noticed this morning that the p/s reservoir is gone. I'm going to call them Monday, but thought I'd ask here if anyone else had gone through this. Do the new Volvos not have a p/s fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That's a bit odd. Are you sure they haven't put it back perhaps not in its proper location? I can't imagine not needing power steering reservoir even if it is just to refill!
I can't make a comparison. My car is a 05 but someone here should check on their newer 2010-2012 model
Try google images also... you might be lucky and find an engine bay of a newer model.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Strange for sure!
I hope you told your daughter not to panic if the steering suddenly get stiff (in case they forgot to put the tank back) . . . :/

Hopefully it's nothing serious but it is a bit strange.
Sometime indi-mechanics try to get creative. It can be great with an old car that needs unusual fix but it can also be bad when they make silly judgement call on a manufacturer's design.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 2007 s40 and the power steering pump and reservoir is actually under the passenger headlamp behind the fog lamp. You really cannot see it from above but you can if you remove the fog lamp or thru the wheel well.

You can see a picture of it in this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?152586-V50-alternator-replacement&highlight=alternator and its in the 9th picture down.

After further reading, you can remove the passenger headlamp to view the reservoir and top it off. Haynes manual also states you can shine a light into the reservoir to see the min/max marks on the side of the reservoir. I will try this myself later this weekend.

Hope this helps,
delhi

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hey Delhibeli, the pictures shows the pump where you say it is but the reservoir is still up front of the coolant reservoir, am I wrong?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I need to look, but my does not have a small reservoir near the expansion tank. My seems to be just as the Haynes manual state. Remove the head lamp to view the reservoir and to top it off. looking at the picture I pointed out there is a hose at the top of the plastic. I am not positive, I will just have to pull my head lamp and take a look. I try and do that today and see if I can get some pictures.,

delhi

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had to run an errand, but I was able to pull the passenger headlamp and look at the power steering pump, at least the top of it.

You can see in the picture, the fill cap and the wording, power steering fluid. You can also see the min/max lines on the side of the reservoir. Again, this is below the passenger headlamp and you have to remove the lamp to see the fill cap.

Sorry for the delay and I hope it helps,
delhi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to close this thread out, yep, mine is now under the passenger headlight. Have to pull the light to check the p/s fluid level.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Mystery solved then. Good to hear! I would have hate for some missing reservoir to create failures for you and your daughter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts