SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
From some of the things that I have read on here, the 04 and 05 might be more prone to angle/bevel gear problems and other such expensive repairs than tha of the 06 and 07? Any input on the differences between these years, or directing me to a thread that shows this would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was helpful. One quick clarification though is that it says for 06, "New All Wheel Drive" with Instant traction. Does this mean that they amended the somewhat short-lived duration before angle gear leaks etc?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
It's the marketing term for the precharge Haldex revision, removing the delay in the AWD system from spinning immediately. This precharge also remedied the collar sleeve wear on the Angle gear. As for Angle Gear leaking, it's a different issue as the main axle or propshaft seals wear down, or the more rare housing seal.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
pre-charged haldex, that is all. Angle gear is the same. Collar was made a little tougher.
Just a tiny little bit tougher; nitrite coating. This also highly depends if it's an automatic or a manual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok great thats the main factor I was wondering about. With an auto, an 06 would be slightly more trouble free than an 04 in that area. Thank you

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ok great thats the main factor I was wondering about. With an auto, an 06 would be slightly more trouble free than an 04 in that area. Thank you
On the other hand 06 auto transmission may have faulty valve body.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just a tiny little bit tougher; nitrite coating. This also highly depends if it's an automatic or a manual.
Yeah very tiny bit tougher. Mine is MY06 and collar failed. Tech said biggest reason they fail is too little lube from the factory (said mine was virtually dry). Replacements should be installed with way more lube. My angle gear also replaced (2yrs after collar). Mine started whining more and more (never showed leaks).

Back on topic:
- MY06 got a slightly larger rear anti-swaybar (21mm up from 20mm). Mine measured 21.3 (same bar from V70R measures 22.4mm)
- GrecianVolvo said MY06 got updated ME7 (just a little more ECU processing power) and 4C apparently will automatically go Advanced mode if driver is making sudden evasive maneuvers (safety feature?)

LTA

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Replacements should be installed with way more lube.

- GrecianVolvo said MY06 got updated ME7 (just a little more ECU processing power) and 4C apparently will automatically go Advanced mode if driver is making sudden evasive maneuvers (safety feature?)
usually not a problem at the dealer...

i don't think it matters for collar what year you have. granted if you have the nitrite fault it will fail later in life but will still fail. new part doesn't address overall softness or poor fit of collar.

charge air pipe is different on 06+ thus turbo's have slightly different fitment.

interesting on the ecu comment. I thought the increase in speed was related to 4c (canbus?) speed and started '05 up. advanced mode during suddent evasive maneuvers is neat. I'm wondering if that really means shocks stiffen more than it actually switches modes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A good amount of the wiring is different from 04-05. Almost nothing in the interior (besides the console and door panels) fit on an 04 from the 05-07 years. Bumpers are another a big one, can't put an 05-07 on an 04. 04's also have the crappy power steering reservoir that leaks like crazy. Most of this shouldn't matter if you have a decent 04. But I wasn't so lucky.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Bumpers are another a big one, can't put an 05-07 on an 04.
I beg to differ, all you need is the bumper supports and the bumper brackets. It bolts up the same. I looked this up prior to getting my body kit, and Chinaonnitrous1 had an 05+ rear installed on his 04.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts