SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, got one that's stumping me because it doesn't make any sense.

My mom bought the above car (2004, S60, 2.5T, FWD) within the last week, 128k miles. She's driven it a couple times, no issues, but was very gentle on it because it had a blown strut.

Friday I swapped out the struts, and took it for a test drive. Got a "NO OIL PRESSURE STOP NOW" warning, and oil light came on about a quarter mile from my house. Limped it back, engine was definitely acting like it had low oil pressure (noises from top end). Get a CEL the next time I start it up, calling for P0026 and P0027, the Intake and Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range / Performance.

Today went to diagnose, same issues.

Changed out the oil and filter with Castrol 5W-30 synthetic high mileage today. Oil that came out of the pan was very thin, it was definitely oil, but it had a very watery viscosity to it. "A-Ha!" I thought, low viscosity oil, it's broken down, whatever. Thin oil, low oil pressure.

Fill the engine up with 6 qts of the good stuff, turn on the ignition. Let it idle for ten, fifteen minutes, watching worriedly. No light. Now that it's warm, I rev it to 2K rpm and hold for fifteen seconds, no light. Nothing.

Back down the driveway, put it in drive, move about 100 feet, oil light flickers twice. As I come to a stop at a stop sign, no light. Gently accelerate around a right hand turn, oil light comes on and is there to stay. I drive it around the block and pull it into the driveway, light still on, but not making any undue "low oil pressure" type noises. Sounds like it's getting oil on the top end, even if the light says otherwise. Shut car off when I stop. Wait a few minutes. Re-start car. No oil light, but CEL - P0027 (Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range / Performance".

So, I am now open to any suggestions. Please help!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The codes are normal for low oil pressure..

Since you know it's got fresh oil in it...Pull the oil pan. Check the pick up. Check the O-rings in the Oil pan. The oil pan o-ring/seal kit is part #30750783. If there is no sludge build up in the pick and the O-rings are all in good condition you could potentially have an oil pump issue. 9 times out of 10 it's in the sump/pick up.

Send the pan off to a machine shop and have them jet wash it. It'll come back very clean usually. If you find sludge, while the pan is being cleaned, pull the VVT solenoids and check the screens for sludge/crud. Replace gaskets with part #30731212. If there is no gaskets/screens there still replace with the part # I provided.

If the solenoids have been replaced in the past, they should be serviceable. There is a Allen bolt that holds the solenoid in place, Remove it, clean the solenoids with a brake cleaner and lubricate with engine oil (dip them into something) and re-install.

Hopefully this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts