SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a wobble at speed that gets louder on turns, and a clicking at low speed turns, so I'm assuming my axle is shot. Anyone know of a good writeup or video on how to replace it?

I've done them on other cars just wanted to make sure there isn't anything different than what I'm used to.

·
3,391 Posts
It's the same basic setup as any other car with a transverse engine. Nothing abnormal.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched one video and the guy said you might have to drain the tranny? Is that true in my case?

I haven't looked at it yet I'm gonna take it apart tomorrow probably and narrow it down, but I plan on ratchet strapping the control arm down, removing the ball joint, remove the bearing carrier, and basically yanking the axle out. Sound about right?

·
3,391 Posts
You don't have to drain the transmission. That's absurd. You've got the procedure exactly right. We've changed probably going on hundreds of Volvo axles in our shop and have never had to touch the trans fluid level.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks a lot man. I just wanted to double check before I broke something or made a mess in my parking lot lol... The last one I did was on a friend's 850 a few years ago and it looks almost identical to this one.

·
3,391 Posts
Alright thanks a lot man. I just wanted to double check before I broke something or made a mess in my parking lot lol... The last one I did was on a friend's 850 a few years ago and it looks almost identical to this one.
It is completely identical to doing one on an 850.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts