SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at some used cars I happened to find a one owner 2003 XC70 with just under 90,000 on it. The car looks great and I'm familiar with most of the potential Volvo issues but I'm a little unclear about where the 2003 XC falls on the whole AW55-50SN good solenoid bushings/bad solenoid bushings thing. I had a 2002 V70 that I bought used with around 150k on it that gave me a quick lesson about "service free" transmissions and soft solenoid bushings (it had hesitation and flares, but after a quick solenoid service with a $58 TransGo kit it was fine). I learned quite a bit about these transmissions and the main source of their problems but during that process it was never clear to me when the solenoid bushing material was improved. Are 2001-2002 transmissions the problem years or do 2003's have the same problem? I'm not concerned about doing another VB rebuild but if it's something that I should be thinking about I'd like to bring it up with the dealer during negotiations, if i get to that point.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I think the MY2003 AW55 were good. I owned a MY2002 XC70 with flaring issues but had 200K on it. I also just recently sold a MY2001 XC70 with 250K on it and the trans was still fine. Both had regular trans service so I'm a believer in doing that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. From what I can see, the AW55 is a fantastic transmission. It is smooth, adaptive, well designed transmission that was stupidly sold as a "no service" unit. If they had all had the transmission fluid changed every 50,000 miles we'd probably never talk about them. It seems that even the 01's and 02's go to 300k without another issue once the solenoids or valve body are replaced.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
When the AW55 is serviced regularly, I think its an excellent transmission, aside from the affected valve bodies and solenoids as you mentioned. All three of my Volvo's have that trans and I have no issues. Although I have my doubts on how long my XC90 trans will last behind the R engine and K24 turbo but I already have a spare sitting at the shop just "in case"

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2003 v70 with 118k and my trans had hard shifts/flares issue until I replaced the shift solenoids. Maybe it depends on how any trans was serviced and/or beat on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts