SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the XC and have put about 5000 miles on it since i owned it. it has 194 k on the clock. it is lifted with XC90 struts. Last week I noticed a vibration under hard acceleration it seemed to get worse as the week went on. It is a whole car shake most evident between 40-60 MPH under moderate to hard go pedal. Today i swapped my summer tires for my snow tires I have a inner CV boot tear on the right axle I can fix that pretty easy. it did not look or feel bad. The problem seems to be with the left wheel when the tire is off the ground there is quite a bit of side to side movement of the rim/tire. there is a small amount of slop when i roll the tire forward and back but nothing crazy. i first though it was a bearing but i have had those go on other vehicles and this does not present the same symptoms. what was strange was that there is no movement of the tire when i grab the 12 and 6 o clock positions and yank on it. only left and right slop appears and it does this with weight on it as well. I have only vehicle and if i have to send to to the shop it will lose $ at the garage and $ from loss of work. I am capable of doing the repair i just don't know which part/s have failed,and dont like throwing parts when i am not sure whats broken. I live on the side of a mountain, so going to the store to grab parts midway thru the job is a no go. I am thinking hub or axle? I will eagerly await the Volvo gods answers. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Is the whole strut moving? If so that would suggest tie rod or LCA... When the bearings are bad the wheel will make a lot of noise before there is any play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole strut moves together with the wheel slop. I don't know what a TCA is, so can't speculate there. I will look at the tie rods and engine mounts when I get a chance. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
The whole strut moves together with the wheel slop. I don't know what a TCA is, so can't speculate there. I will look at the tie rods and engine mounts when I get a chance. Thanks.
lower control arm. It's not an engine mount.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This was that kids black lifted xc70 right?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?229197-4x4-Lifted-XC70-Build

Cool looking car, but if I remember correctly, he was running the lift, as well as some Mega spacers, and 31" tires. and I believe he actually off-roaded it a good deal as well. All of that means it was probably pretty beat up by the time you got it. From the research I've done in preparation to (maybe) lift my own car, it seems that the extreme angles + larger tires wear out suspension components and on occasion eat up axles. I'd bet on LCAs, tie rods, or axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts