SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a pretty clean 2003 xc70, new tires, lots of dealer oil changes, 120K miles, for some reason timing belt was not changed, so it broke wondering what 2.5 engines i can put in this, any one (ie. s60, xc90 2.5 T etc..) or only xc70? Picked it up for 450.00, and engine is already removed and ready for the new one, mechanic (Said it ran well before belt let go) started job, customer changed his mind, will install new engine for 600.00 + cost of engine, looking for a good winter car, and was also going to try the engine install myself, have small shop and lift etc...
thanks ss

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have the knowledge to answer your question but it occurs to me that if the mechanic started the job and then the customer changed his mind, then what engine was the previous owner and the mechanic considering for the new (used?) engine install?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I didn't answer it for same reason as above--lack of expertise--but I guess I don't see why you wouldn't just slap its native 2.5T in there

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't answer it for same reason as above--lack of expertise--but I guess I don't see why you wouldn't just slap its native 2.5T in there

Yes, that makes the most sense, i just had a line on a very cheap 2004 2.5T s60, but am looking for an xc70 motor, thanks

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yes, that makes the most sense, i just had a line on a very cheap 2004 2.5T s60, but am looking for an xc70 motor, thanks
I am somewhat certain that the XC70 and the 2.5T are the same engine, as long as its on a V70, S60 or S80. If its an S40/V50, all bets are off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
while the engine is out, consider changing the driveline fluids, Transmission, angle gear, haldex and rear differential. Look at parking brakes for delamination. Prior to the new used engine being installed, inspect and probably replace the PCV system components, inspect/replace timing belt, idlers and seals. Much easier with the engine out of the car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If the engine is decent $600 is a flat out bargain, let him do the 15 hours of work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts