SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, my love for volvo started when my family lived in sweden for about 2 years from when I was 8 till 10 until we moved to US. Ive went through quite a few rwd "bricks" and a year and a half ago leased a 2015 V60. But recently ive aquired a 03 V70 as a new project/possible replacement for the v60 when the lease runs out.

The subject of this thread when I first got it home.

2003 T5, auto gt :thumbdown:, 118k.

Found a window sticker in the glove box. 39,900 msrp.

Found this car on craigslist for what seemed like a good price. Test drove it on the highway and besides a clunk from the ps side strut it seemed like a great deal. Turns out the guy wasnt very forthcoming with the cars problems.

First long drive in the car led to transmission issues rearing their ugly heads. Flares on upshifts, banging on downshifts, 2-1 shift felt like I was being rear ended. Pretty much undrivable after the trans warms up. Bummer.

Hoping it wasnt bad, I first tried replacing the torque mounts and flushing the trans fluid. At first I did about 2 drain and fills with a bit of lucas trans fix added and half a can of seafoam trans tune. Then after driving for about 100 miles I did a flush through the trans cooler putting about 10qt through it. The fluid was black initially but after all that it didnt help the shifting at all.
I also replaced the ps strut mount which was bad and it eliminated the clunking in the front end.

In the mean time my friend with a C30 gave me his well used 17" pegs as a gift.

I love the look but I cant figure out if the wheels are bent or its something else as Im getting vibrations above 50mph.

After doing some research I decided to replace the trans shift solenoids to solve the trans issue. $200 on ebay seemed cheaper then a trans swap.

Fun times. Took about 7 hours from start to a test drive with the help of my friend. Although it can be done by one person.

I also found a dice on local craigslist and had an old laptop that my friend figured out how to run Vida on.

After a trans fluid reset and a adaptation reset the trans is shifting great! Such a relief.

Now to fix the "little" things.
At this time my priorities are the vibration at speed and a noticeable clunk/movement? when driving at highway speed and feathering the throttle on and off.

Ive always wanted a progression thread of my projects so forgive me if its not perfect but im hoping to keep it updated and interesting as time goes on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You got a nice Volvo there. :) Where did you mount the trans cooler?
When you are in a stop and go traffic what's your trans oil temp?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for posting, I'm interested in a V70 T5, that generation and am afraid because of the transmission issue. But you seemed to have found a reasonable solution. So just replaced solenoid and change fluid and change again ... and again till it's clear.

Could you send link to what solenoid actually looks like?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for your tips. Bookmarked!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through the same things with the trans in my 04 XC. Solenoids, magnefine filter, and trans cooler got it to about 95% fixed, I still need to do the trans adaptation though.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Awesome work. Sidenote and potential derail; how do you like your '15 V60? I've been hanging out in that forum researching them pretty thoroughly with an eye towards possibly making a CPO purchase in the next couple months.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the compliments. And yes it is about 95% fixed as there are still some awkward shifts once in a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome work. Sidenote and potential derail; how do you like your '15 V60? I've been hanging out in that forum researching them pretty thoroughly with an eye towards possibly making a CPO purchase in the next couple months.
Well in general terms I love the car. I have about 16k on it now. Its smooth, seats are amazing, power is great, plenty of room for two people and a dog.

When I first brought it home.

But it does have some quirks and I dont know if the reliability is there for me to hold on to it for long term. Maybe because its a first year powertrain combo but ive had some minor issues with it.

first thing that happened was a check engine light at 500 miles.

The code was for a cyl 2 misfire. Dealer drove the car around and said it was "bad fuel". Cleared the code and hasnt happened since so maybe it was a hickup.

The other thing is I think a known issue of oil consumption. At around 8k I got this. Put in a quart and took it in for its 10k "service" which was nothing more then an oil changed.

Its also developing minor rattles here and there.

Otherwise its been good to me. I commute about 70-80 miles a day and its very comfortable.

If it were me, I would wait and get a 2015.5 or a 2016 used one since those also include the sensus connect and hopefully the minor bugs are addressed by then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So today I spent some time working on the inside of the car. Installed a Grom bluetooth adapter and a boost gauge.

I also have Eibach springs and new shocks to be installed along with IPD poly strut bar bushing inserts and IPD poly subframe bushing inserts.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You're moving quick! Rad.

And thanks for the feedback on the v60. Don't wanna clog up your thread anymore but suffice to say, my nervousness about the new drivetrain has me leaning towards the OG T5 AWD rather than drive-e. Or I'll just get a little subaru and hang in there for a few years ;-)

·
Registered
760 Posts
speedrac666, can I buy the V70 T5 off you after you're done and bored with it :cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice looking T5. My '01 is very similar, except for the clutch. And it appears to have been handled with a little less care than yours. But with 176k on the clock and climbing, it runs awesome.

I would recommend unbolting the charge air pipe from the intake manifold. It doesn't need to be attached and you will eventually end up with cracks in the pipe where the brackets are fused on. I know from experience.

Regarding the transmission, did you adjust the solenoids after you replaced them? I rebuilt the ones in a previous car I had and it shifted beautifully afterward. I considered installing new ones but from what I read it seemed that they could be difficult to adjust. By rebuilding the originals, they will be properly adjusted for the transmission. If you drill the pan while it's apart then you can make adjustments pretty easily with it all together.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're moving quick! Rad.

And thanks for the feedback on the v60. Don't wanna clog up your thread anymore but suffice to say, my nervousness about the new drivetrain has me leaning towards the OG T5 AWD rather than drive-e. Or I'll just get a little subaru and hang in there for a few years ;-)
haha yea I usually go all in during the "honeymoon" phase with my cars. And no problem on the v60. I might be making it seem worse then it is. Subarus have their headgasket issues also haha.

I work on these and they have their inherit problems also.

Whitev70r - hopefully ill stick with this for a while or else my wife will kill me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
After all the work, oil changes and transmission reprograming you have done, if you do drop the trans oil tomorrow....and simply replace it with exactly the same amount and temperature of new 3309 (about 3 to 3.5 qtrs.)

Would you tell the tranny that you changed the oil...or leave it alone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive thought about that before. I might reset it just because I have easy access to Vida but I dont think its necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts