SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

thinking about updating my speaker system.

Iv got the HU613 with the Grom BT3. no amp, i think, but will check. (how do i check for this?)

Thinking of changing out the speakers, letting the HU power them.

i found these, that i hope would fit right in :
http://www.amazon.com/Package-Sps-6...TF8&qid=1442073361&sr=8-2&keywords=alpine+610

and found this thread describing the process :

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?115765-My-next-project-01-V70-T5M/page3

Is there a way to install the factory amplifier if i don´t have one? im looking for a plug and play type of thing if possible.
like this one maybe :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2003-V...AMP-8673135-/171923656925?hash=item280772d0dd

The speakers on Amazon are 4ohm, components for the front and coaxial for the rear.

Id appreciate thoughts and input on this.

Was going to get some sound deadening mats to put into the doors as well while they are open.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Many speakers will sound better than the stock ones. Nothing "fits right in", a little modification is necessary
You do not have an external amp, it would be located under the right seat, against the center console
Yes, you can add one, plug and play.
Not sure if that's the right amp, you want one from 2001-2007, what he said 1997 thru P2s does not exist

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many speakers will sound better than the stock ones. Nothing "fits right in", a little modification is necessary
You do not have an external amp, it would be located under the right seat, against the center console
Yes, you can add one, plug and play.
Not sure if that's the right amp, you want one from 2001-2007, what he said 1997 thru P2s does not exist
Thanks.

Yes some mods like cutting the factory bracket and maybe laying in the new harness for an amp im counting on.

I searched the parts number, and this came up :
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Amplifier/1143204/30752259.html

Which at the bottom of the page says that model number ( 30752259 ; 30775119; 8673135) will fit
Volvo S60 2001 - 2009
Volvo S80 1999 - 2006
Volvo V70 2000 - 2008
Volvo V70 XC 2001 - 2007

So, im guessing in addition to this amp i would need to get the harness, if its not included, or might that already be in place?

I stuck me ear to the D-Pillar in the trunk, and sounds like there are speakers in there too.
Considering getting a set for those, and think they are 3.5inch, are you able to confirm this ?
So i have 6 total (not counting the tweeters in the front as separate speakers)

Would i need software to make the amp work?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Those speakers should mount right to the factory adapters but the tweeters are what takes a little more creativity.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those speakers should mount right to the factory adapters but the tweeters are what takes a little more creativity.
Thanks. Yes thought so too. So if i wanted to upgrade all 6 speakers i would have to get 1 set of compos 1 set of coaxial and 1 set of tweeters ?

Anyone know where the dpillar tweets get their signal? Are they hooked right to the head unit or are they linked to the speakers in the rear door?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
They're wired parallel to the speakers in the rear doors, each speaker are 8 ohm so the whole channel is 4 ohm. I disabled my rear pillar speakers, but the truth is impedance (ohms) is less important on tweeters, as they don't pull lots of current like a woofer does. So you can wire a 4 ohm speaker in the door and leave an 8 ohm tweeter in the rear and it'll actually average out to like 4.5 ohms.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the pillar speakers. I'd either disable them or leave them stock.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Yes some mods like cutting the factory bracket and maybe laying in the new harness for an amp im counting on.

???????????????????????

I searched the parts number, and this came up :
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Amplifier/1143204/30752259.html

Which at the bottom of the page says that model number ( 30752259 ; 30775119; 8673135) will fit
Volvo S60 2001 - 2009
Volvo S80 1999 - 2006
Volvo V70 2000 - 2008
Volvo V70 XC 2001 - 2007

So, im guessing in addition to this amp i would need to get the harness, if its not included, or might that already be in place?

YOU WANT A PA 200 OR A PA 300, PREFERABLY THE PA 300, (watts). YES YOU NEED THE (pictured) HARNESS. I WOULD SUGGEST TO BUY USED FOR EVERYTHING. IF YOU BUY IT NEW I THINK IT COMES WITH A HARNESS. I DOUBT THEY HAVE ONE AS IT'S BEEN DISCONTINUED. THAT PLACE IS FAMOUS FOR LEAVING PARTS ON THEIR SITE WHETHER THEY HAVE IT OR NOT!

I stuck me ear to the D-Pillar in the trunk, and sounds like there are speakers in there too.
Considering getting a set for those, and think they are 3.5inch, are you able to confirm this ?
So i have 6 total (not counting the tweeters in the front as separate speakers) 4 TWEETERS. TWO IN THE DOORS AND TWO IN THE REAR, VERY SMALL

Would i need software to make the amp work?
NEW YES, USED NO

·
Registered
357 Posts
IF you are interested I have the headunit and amp + cable from an 04 S60R. Hu-803 radio with all the knobs and adjustments. It should plug n play for you. But if you are going hard you may want to buy an aftermarket unit. I'm fairly positive the amp I have is the low power option because it's an 04 and I can't find a single marking telling me it's power.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm fairly positive the amp I have is the low power option because it's an 04 and I can't find a single marking telling me it's power.
What's the part number on the amp? We'd be able to tell from the part number.

·
Registered
744 Posts
its 8666630

then two other numbers below that

10347 03W43
8666630 = PA-300

03W43 means it was manufactured on the 43rd week of 2003.

The PA-300 is a nice upgrade over the PA-200.

·
Registered
357 Posts
so it's the nice one awesome. It's not really selling so i've been looking into putting it into my wagon. been researching subs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

If/once i start going on this ill update and share my experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have similar stock setup. I installed a PA-300 ($120 from erie vovo with harness) and didn't see much improvement over the HU-613. But this is with stock speakers.
75W RMS x4 is probably more than you could deal with from the stock 6.5" mounts.
Replacing the fronts with CDT coaxials, will update on how it changes things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have similar stock setup. I installed a PA-300 ($120 from erie vovo with harness) and didn't see much improvement over the HU-613. But this is with stock speakers.
75W RMS x4 is probably more than you could deal with from the stock 6.5" mounts.
Replacing the fronts with CDT coaxials, will update on how it changes things.
cool, yea thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So installed the CDT fronts, with some dynamat.

Music content with the highest constant load (a pure sine wave is the most demanding audio) has no more distortion.
With the stock speakers (and PA-300 amp) the speakers would distort pretty bad with louder tunes.
The amp seems to have no problem driving the piss out of the new speakers.
CDTs are less boomy than the stock cones, so you trade out some of the boom for some tighter low-end.

Also, installing sound matting is pretty much mandatory. The most common thing to start rattling is the electric window modules in each door. Next up is replacing the rear door speakers also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts